We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless not working correctly after tea time

ozzymodo

Likes # 0

I have a netgear router and have been using it for over a year now, no problem. For the past few days when I try connecting wirelessly to the net or my son tries with his phone, it says that it cannot find our connection. We look in the list of available networks and ours is not there amongst the four that usually appear, but we have noticed that since the beginning of the week 3 new networks have been picked up and 1 is from Virgin (as is ours) and 2 are from bt (ours is the 802.11g) and the 3 new ones are 802.11n. I am wondering could these be affecting our signal? because during the day they are not listed and all is ok but they appear from early evening onwards and that is when we have problems connecting. Sorry it's a long question but wanted to get all info on. Thanks Ian. PS there is no problem when connected to router via cable as the wife uses that and all is ok she said.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

There may be a conflict with neighbouring wireless configurations. You could have a look at changing the wifi frequency of your router - whatever it is on , 1, 6, 11 seem to be recommended. To access your router you will need to type into the address bar at the top of your browser the IP address of your ISP - usually 192.168.1.1 or 1.2 or something similar. You will then have to put in your user name and password - if you haven't changed them they will probabably be admin/admin, or admin/password or admin/blank. Go into settings and find wifi channel.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If you run Netstumbler from here you can see which channels are being used around you. As mentioned, you should only use 1, 6 or 11 because of overlaps

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Try inSSIDer rather than Netstumbler, it is not restricted to 802.11a,b or g networks. Don't worry about using only channels 1, 6 or 11, use whichever channel is furthest from those in use by neighbours for least interference.

Like this post
31mandt

Likes # 0

Just a thought - do you have a DigiSender attached to your TV which is switched on after teatime? I know this is why our Wireless connection stopped working - once the DigiSender is switched off, hey presto, the wireless signal is OK. Took a long time to discover what the problem was; after the ISP provider had investigated etc. we found out ourselves.

Like this post
MrNewName

Likes # 0

Another thought: is there a setting to turn off wi-fi at a certain time? It may be that the signal is not being broadcast after tea-time.

Like this post
ozzymodo

Likes # 0

thanks to all who have replied with suggestions. In response to the last two I do not have a digisender on the tv as we are with Virgin and have had the same set up for years, also the wifi is not and never has been set to shut down/turn off at specific times (if it was then the problem would have arisen a long time ago). Like i said the problem has arisen since 3 new wi fi connections were discovered by my pc, all of which are BT owned, I complained to BT who told ME to readjust/set my wifi settings, my reply was why should I when it has been running ok for years? I got in touch with Virgin who sympathised and they sent out a new router to me and all (so far) is now running smoothly. Again thanks for all the replies Kind regards Ian

Like this post
31mandt

Likes # 0

Glad you eventually got sorted.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......