We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MY FILES AND FOLDERS ARE HIDDEN

wfulton_2121

Likes # 0

Hi all, i have had a bad infection which seems to have hidden all the crucial files on my C drive such as docs and settings and program files.

This is a huge issue as my start menu is appearing empty

the infection has gone but my files and folders are still missing

is there such a tool to reset all attributes back to normal?

thanks

Like this post
BurrWalnut

Likes # 0

It’s possible that your infection was bogus antimalware and has hidden the files.

1.Read about and then run Unhide, scroll down here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic405109.html

2.Alternatively, type these commands to reset the attribute (the capitals are for clarity only, but note the spaces in the commands):

Open a Run window (Windows Logo key+R), type CMD and press Enter. Type C: and press Enter. Type ATTRIB -H /S /D and press Enter (this may take some time). Type EXIT and press Enter.

After resetting the attributes, you may have to hide the system files. To do so, go to Folder Options > View Tab and put a tick in Hide protected system files.

Like this post
wfulton_2121

Likes # 0

thank you for your reply, the download does not start

so i tried the atrib command - the command starts and looks to run nicely but most files have access denied or not resetting attribute. Is this normal?

thanks

Like this post
wfulton_2121

Likes # 0

C:\program files is now unhidden and is fully intact BUT the office apps are not visible in the start menu!

Im confused, any other suggestions please?

thanks

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Unhide" is a tool that I've seen recommended on these forums for situations such as yours. You'll find instructions plus the link to it HERE.

Like this post
wfulton_2121

Likes # 0

here is what i am getting

C:>ATTRIB -S -H /S /D C:*.* Access denied - C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\ r Watson\user.dmp Access denied - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\CMap\Identity-H Access denied - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\CMap\Identity-V Access denied - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Resource\CMap Access denied - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelpe .dll Access denied - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelpe Shim.dll Access denied - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroPDF.dll Access denied - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\pdfshell.dl

Access denied - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX Access denied - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AMSP\Temp\TMFBE\c16t1600v1.0.0l1p1 1o1.inuse Access denied - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AMSP\Temp\TMFBE\c16t1600v1.0.0l1p1 1o1 Access denied - C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\AMSP\Temp\TMFBE

Like this post
wfulton_2121

Likes # 0

Found this below which worked a treat! Thanks all for you help!

This is a manual fix for XP users:

1. Copy the entire content of this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp\1 and paste it to this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu

2. Copy the entire content of this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp\2 and paste it to this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

3. Copy the entire content of this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp\3 and paste it to this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

4. Copy the entire content of this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\user_name\Local Settings\Temp\smtmp\4 and paste it to this folder: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do