We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Download speed or Graphics card?

ronec

Likes # 0

I have an Acer 9302 laptop AMD Turion 64 2.2 GHz 512KB L2 cache 4GB RAM 'Up to 384MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 6100 TurboCache' My problem is that I have trouble watching BBCi Player (for example). I cannot watch it at full screen (17"),and even on the standard setting (about 1/4 screen) it keeps stopping and the download wheel spins on the picture. It did this tonight and the BBC page did a download test to see what the problem might be. My download and streaming speed varied between 5.5 and 6.5mbps. As it only needs about 1.5mbps to watch tv on a computer, has anybody any idea whether my Graphics card is rubbish, or could it be something else.

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Have you got Java Script enabled and are you running the up to date version of Flash Player? Has the driver for your graphics card been updated too?

Have you looked at the resolution settings of your screen to see if that makes any difference?

There are quite a few problems for the Beeb to iron out with the new iPlayer and everyone seems to be waiting for a new software update - I believe it is still in Beta format. Even if your connection is fast enough, your ISP probably gives some types of data preferential treatment, particularly during peak times.

I have noticed since the new iPlayer was launched that programmes take longer to start and running the iPlayer seems to reduce the bandwidth to the point of it freezing and stuttering back to life and I have a very good graphics card. I had to alter the resolution on my screen to accommodate full screen mode.

Have you tried streaming iTV and 4oD players ? Do you get the same thing. Have you tried pressing the pause button for a while as the programme is loading. Have you tried using the lower bandwidth option? These won't cure the problems but they do sometimes help.

Another thing to try is perhaps another browser?

Like this post
Routers4Humans

Likes # 0

Hi ronec,

To isolate the issue, you may try to increase the video quality. Try the Klite codec pack. You may download from here: http://www.filehippo.com/downloadklitecodec_pack/

If the software issue pertains to the video, its definitely gonna resolve it. And as suggested before, make sure that if there is any updated firmware or patch released by Acer or by Nvidia for ur model graphic card, don't forget to update that.

And if the issue is with your internet speed, then you need to talk to your ISP and probably you may need better speed. Best of luck!!!

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Thanks guys, I will give all you suggest a try. Not the end of the world, but sometimes it is better to watch the program in a size you can see.

Like this post
Routers4Humans

Likes # 0

I agree. But if you have a solution available then living with the problem, is not a wise choice. However, this is my personal opinion. Thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers