We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Graphic card change

daveac41

Likes # 0

In the way that Crucial.com provides advice on upgrading memory cards, is

there a site that would do the same for graphics cards?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've never heard of one. Sorry...

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Post your motherboard make and model, your CPU and advice will be yours. Usefull also to mention whether you are a gamer or video editor or not.

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Thanks !! My CPU is an Intel Pentium 4, 2400 MHz (18 x 133), and the

motherboard is a Microstar MSI P4MAM2-V (MS-7095)

I use PC mostly for gaming, but I do a bit of video editing.

Hope I've provided enough information

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Sorry should have asked what is your current card? What sort of games do you play? What sort of budget have you got?

Because you have quite an old CPU, then if you add a to powerful GPU you will get,what is called a bottle-neck which will mean certain games which areCPU intensive will not run as smoothly as they should.

But you will certainly be able to upgrade your graphics card.

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus

My graphics card is described on Belarc as "RADEON 9200 SE Family (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]

RADEON 9200 SE SEC Family (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]"

Would you recommend another CPU?

My "gaming" is only MS Flight Simulator, so far.

I wouldn't like to pay more than £80-£100 for a graphics card

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

I'm on thei iPad at the moment but will look around when I power up the PC.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Here is a list of supported CPU's:MSI P4MAM2-V and unfortunately not really much scope for an upgrade.

Your Mobo: motherboard. Which has,I see,the older AGP slot for a graphics card, as opposed to the latest, which is PCI-E.

To be honest its an old system and I am wondering why you feel that you need to update your GPU. Has the game slowed or what?

This is a reasonable upgrade, 7600 AGP. Or this: 6600 AGP.

Have a look around,might be able to get them cheaper.

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus, thanks very much for your assistance - it's given me plenty to think about!!

Regards

D

Like this post
daveac41

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus, I got a 7600 AGP card but when it is inserted,and I power up, it screams something awful. When I replace original card - no problem. What could this be????

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

What screams, is it the fan on the graphics card,if so remove the GPU from your PC make sure the fan runs freely try again, if it still screams then I suggest that the card is faulty.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...