We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is Microsoft Office free to download?

gazmix

Likes # 0

Hi

I am surprised to see that olde version of Microsoft Office available free to download!

Is this a legit version?

I thought people had to pay for it!?

Thanks

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

At the top of the page is this "Microsoft Office is an application to create and edit spreadsheets.Have Word,Excel and many other utilities. It is a TRIAL software and if you like his functions you can buy from Microsoft Corporation .Can create presentation pages ,image slide shows,work with". Note it is a TRIAL version. Trial versions are free but have a limited life after which you have to buy it. So in a short while it is not free. IMO the page is a bit of a con.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you are going to do that you might as well try the latest version 2010 for free MS Office 2010

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 is Free (Word, Excel, +Ads)

Or use OpenSource LibreOffice which is compatible.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

Ok, are the 2 links on robinofloxley's post also trial versions?

Also, if i download a trail version, do i have to then buy it after the trial has ended?, like contracted too or something?.

Thanks

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

After the trial if you do not buy it then it ceases to work and has to be removed. It is a trial - use it - if you like it buy it otherwise uninstall.

LibreOffice is free open source office software. Neither links are trials. MS Office starter is a cut down version plus adverts.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

No you dont have to buy it. BUT it gradually stops working - it will open files but not let you edit or save files - so not much use.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Microsoft Office Starter 2010 as above is not trial.

It is free as it has a few adverts.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

i use Microsoft Office Starter 2010 which is free and unlimited use.

only 2 minor drawbacks one is slow to open, two some ads in right hand margin. with a saving of £90 for the student edition I can live with the drawbacks

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback