We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I want to fit a DVD writer/reader...how please?

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

I have two PC's one of them has aDVD writer/reader.

The other has a CD reader and a DVD reader,

I want to take out the DVD reader and fit the DVD writer/reader in its place.

Can someone tell me how to do this please...is it just a case of fitting it, or do I have to tweak and twiddle anything?

Thank you so much.

Richard

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's just a case of fitting it, and then you get 'Windows found new hardware' popping up and then 'Installing your new hardware...etc'

So just sit back and wait for it to do it's stuff.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

Hopefully the old and the new have the same cable connections,if so just undo the screws each side - remove the cables - slide the new one in - reattach the cables and screws and as lotvic says you get 'Windows found new hardware' popping up and then 'Installing your new hardware...etc'

Job done.

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Thanks for your replies.

I just wondered if I had to do anything with the jumper points at the back of the DVD writer/reader, master and slave comes to mind, not even sure what that means but I seem to remember doing something to the jumper connections when I had a CD rom and a DVD writer fitted on another PC I had many years ago

Richard

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Look at the jumper on the old one and make the new one the same.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Not very clearly put, should be:

Look at the jumper on the DVD reader you take out and set the jumper on new DVD writer/reader to the same position.

It occurs to me that you could replace the CD reader with the new DVD writer/reader, and then put the CD reader in the pc that at the moment has only a DVD writer/reader, if you wanted.

Then you would have your two PC's, one of them with CD reader as well as it's existing DVD writer/reader .

The other has the new DVD writer/reader and the existing DVD reader.

If two Devices are on the same IDE cable the Master goes on the end connector and Slave connects to the middle.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

Just a warning. I suspect the DVD reader you are removing is old, and will come with a wide connector at the back... It will be IDE You'll need a similar drive to replace it. Most new drives are SATA, and you probably do not have that kind of connector. So, take care over what you buy. I'd suggest identifying the make & model of the old one (by taking it out is most reliable way, post it up here, and people more knowledgeable than me will find you a bargain replacement.

It is REALLY easy!!! Honest!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

*The other has a CD reader and a DVD reader, I want to take out the DVD reader and fit the DVD writer/reader in its place.*

Sounds like an old machine?

You will probably need a DVD RW with EIDE connections (wide data cable. D shape white molex power plug) as previously stated new DVD writers are SATA different connectors than your old machine so be careful when buying.

If you cannot get hold of the old type drive then you can purchase a IDE to sata adaptor

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Having re-read your original post, "I want to take out the DVD reader and fit the DVD writer/reader in its place" maybe you are not purchasing a new DVD writer/reader, but are swapping it to different pc.

The good advice to check connection cable is valid, if one is sata and t'other ide. It didn't occur to me that they might be different.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED