We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Entering text in this forum

geedad

Likes # 0

Does anyone else have the problem that I have in entering text in this forum? Many times I cannot proceed because the cursor seems to have a mind of its own! When I type a line of text, and end the sentence, hoping for a single line, I find that the next sentence is tagged on the end of the previous one! THis does NOT happen in other instances of typing on Websites.

Also, is the Tags item REALLY necessary? It just will not accept 4 items, sometimes, and holds up the sending of queries.

geedad

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"I find that the next sentence is tagged on the end of the previous one"

You have to start a new paragraph if you don't want it to continue from the end of previous sentence.

Unfortunately the preview box doesn't always show you this, so you don't quite get what you think once you have posted.

As for the Tags, it just says maximum of 4 so it is ok to put only 1 tag word in.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Are you by any chance typing on a Laptop, where you can accidentally 'Brush' the mouse sensor pad. A very common fault.

Terry

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

If you don't want the sentence to continue from the previous one you have to key two spaces - not just one.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

lotvic Thank you. Terry Brown No, it's a desktop. This forum's website producers need to look at the difficulty of typing in it. I use a wireless mouse, and it is fine on other websites, and any other page I need to type text. Sea Urchin Thank you. geedad

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"This forum's website producers need to look at the difficulty of typing in it"

As far as I can remember yours is the first complaint of its kind that I've seen. I don't understand what you're getting at when you say:-

"When I type a line of text, and end the sentence, hoping for a single line, I find that the next sentence is tagged on the end of the previous one!"

If you want to drop down a line you must hit the enter key on your keyboard twice. Try it, and you'll see it happen in the text preview panel.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Is there a help page for How To....

Bold, Italics, etc.

I had a quick look earlier, and been meaning to ask for months.

Google returns a link with:

"Before you post your own thread, try using our search facility - it may save you .... If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, ..."

But that links me back to the Helproom. I can't find the page

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

For Bold and Italics, with your cursor highlight the word or sentence and then click on the B for bold or I for italics that are just above the box that you are typing in.

For a URL link, highlight the words you want to use for the link and click on the blue globe with the green arrow and the popup box will appear for you to paste your url in. Just make sure that there is only one http at the front as the popup box already has one in, so delete it if your pasted url has a http as well.

Ignore the reference to "Optional Title" in the popup box because you have already chosen that by highlighting the words with your cursor.

That should keep you going for a bit. I keep forgetting some of the other stuff.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I looked everywhere but under my nose (I always use Ctrl-L for links).

Thanks Lotvic.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

robinofloxley "I use Ctrl-L for links"

thanks :)) I'll try to remember that one, I didn't know about keyboard shortcut to bring up the popup box

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

excellent stuff, I have been lagging behind with keyboard shortcuts to bring up format

highlight word, press Ctrl+b for bold

highlight word, press Ctrl+i for italics.

simple once I know how.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'