We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blue Screen Problem

RobbieRoberts

Likes # 0

Hi, I have been plagued with the following Blue Screen message on boot-up:- "Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Cannot open volume for direct access. Windows has finshed checking the disk ....." This stays on the screen for several minutes, then the computer continues the boot-up process. My system is Windows XP home edition, with SP2 & SP3. RobbieR

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

XP is Dinosaur, consider an upgrade

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Chkdsk.exe or Autochk.exe starts when you try to shut down or restart your computer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831426

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

yes markied71 the thing is some people still use xp for a variety of reasons and some use linux alongside xp

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Nothing wrong with XP, yes it is not the latest OS but not everyone has the luxury or inclination to be able to buy the latest of everything. I have both XP and W7 on separate HDD's and find that I still like and use XP for the majority of time.

markd71 I do hope your hangover from Saturday nights beer session is not still troubling you and your head no longer hurts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...