We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Networking with netgear

el jimbo2

Likes # 0

I have a netgear adapter wna3100 linking to a d-link router with virgin.

I have two problems.

1.The pc with the adapter loses connection, sometimes every 5 minutes. Either I have to physically disconnect/reconnect the adapter, or press the 'repair connection' function.

1. On any video streaming, eg youtube, I get endless pauses on the video.

I have a laptopn connected, and a blackberry play book, both of which work fine. I have talked to netgear helpline and got no joy, even after turning the mtu on the d-link down to 1400, as they reccomended. They also say turn the NAT to open or unsecure on the d-link, but There is no such option.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

What are your security settings( WEP,WPA,WPA2 etc) on your router. And what operating system is your PC? NAT filtering may be under 'WAN set up' although i'm not familiar with D-link.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Why are you using 2 routers

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try the suggested solutions on Netgear forum thread http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=55511

Having googled for 'netgear adapter wna3100 keeps losing connection' seems to be quite a common problem with the netgear adapter wna3100

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

markd71, The Netgear WNA3100 is a wireless USB adapter that enables a computer to connect via Wi-Fi to the Router

How to Troubleshoot Netgear WNA3100 Wi-Fi ClickHere

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Ok, how old is the pc ?

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

I am on wpa2.

Old computer ( more than 10 yrs).

Not usb 2.0

Windows xp.

Like this post
mrwoowoo

Likes # 0

xp has compatibility issues with WPA2. Try knocking it down to WPA. If no joy, try WEP as it's an old PC.

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

I am on wpa2.

Old computer ( more than 10 yrs).

Not usb 2.0

Windows xp I'd say your problem lies with your USB 1.0 Install a USB 2.0 pci card & then try

Like this post
el jimbo2

Likes # 0

Mr. woowoo, wpa on d-link or netgear adapter? I have other laptop (new) so wep might not be appropriate.

Mark, Is your connection working?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

The manual says:

"Note: The maximum speed of a USB v2.0 port is 480 Mbps. If your computer has a USB v1.1 port, the wireless-N USB adapter is limited to that port’s maximum speed, which is 14 Mbps."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED