We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with watching video

toogie

Likes # 0

When I try watching video via e.g. via BBC IPlayer the sound is ok but the video is not smooth i.e.it is "jerky", stalling and then catching up. Does anyone have any advice how I can identify the problem and correct it. I have downloaded the latest "Flash Player".

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

What is your download speed?

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

4.3Mb

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Anything else running in the background? Sorry but you may well have to wait for others to respond.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Try clearing your browser's cache. link Leave out the history if you don't want to delete.

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Thanks for the prompt responses. Unfortunately I still have the problem although nothing else is running and I have cleared the Cache! Could the problem be caused by the age of my PC (2002)because although I have added memory over the years the Graphics Card would be the original which I believe is the "64MB nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti4200 with TV-out &VDI" listed in my PC specification. Also, is there any other test I can perform to help identify the problem. Any advice would be very welcome as I want to watch the Formula 1 GP's on my PC this year and a "stuttering" picture would be useless!!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Also, is there any other test I can perform to help identify the problem......"

I tried to help a chap recently with a similar problem over on this thread. Go through the two posts I made and let us know what you discover.

If my suggestions don't fix anything then let us know if you get the same problem in more that one web browser. Let us know too if the problem only occurs at peak-times (16:00-23:00) or all the time.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

SS: yes, you did - it was me! I still haven't got round to trying everything you suggested... (Although, judging by something I was trying yesterday with a downloaded, rather than streamed, iPlayer file, the problem may be local to the machine rather than anything to do with network speed...)

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel I have tried all of the suggestions you had given to Ian in Northampton but am no wiser! When I open "What's Running" it shows:
Processes: 36 (Blue & Red arrows jump around in the CPU column)
Services: 103
Modules: 375
IP Connections: when opened shows activity at the bottom of the screen "items to resolve" and these are over 500! but then reduces to 22!
Drivers: 205
Startup: 7 (I use "msconfig" at Startup)
Unfortunately all of this means nothing to me and I do not know how this "tool" can be used to help resolve the problem.
I use Chrome browser but have tried watching in IE & Firefox but the same problem is there.
Lastly in answer to your question to Ian in in Northampton "When the video freezes, do you see the little circular animation centre-screen to indicate the player's buffering data?" Yes is my reply!
Also when I try to use "BBC iPlayer Diagnostics" these also "freeze". Not sure where to go from here so I would be grateful for any help that may be out there!
Thanks all.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Toogie, it sounds more like a connection problem rather than something wrong with your PC.

A lot of connection issues can be solved by simply turning off your router for a minute and turning it back on.

If that doesn't help and you're using a wireless connection, then if possible, try connecting your PC to the router with an Ethernet cable.

I'd still like to know if this problem occurs at all times of the day or just during the peak when the majority of users are online.

Like this post
toogie

Likes # 0

Secret Squirrel my PC is already connected to the router by a yellow cable and to answer your other point I have tried streaming at different times of the day from morning through to night and the problem is always there!. This is a really frustrating problem as everything else I do on my PC is quick!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added