We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

'Windows Explorer has stopped working' but only ok on Desktop?

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have recently posted a similar thread but i wasn't specific enough so i thought i should post it again but properly. I have vista and If i go to My Documents or to any of my external drives and move files or cut/copy and paste i get the message 'Windows explorer has stopped working' and they close down. However, this does not happen on my desktop OR whenever i go to My Documents/External hard drives via another program, for example Nero/Nero vision/make DVD/import files and then i can move/cut/copy as freely as i wish. Please, please can someone help me with this as it is incredibly frustrating.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Really? Even though i never ever use IE?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

A couple of things for you try in diagnosing the cause of your problem:

1) Go into Vista's Safe Mode. Does Explorer crash in the same way or does it allow you to copy 'n' paste normally?

2) Back in Normal mode, open Event Viewer. If you don't know how to get to it then click the Start button, type event and it should appear at the top of the list.

Top-left of Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs -> System. In the top centre pane, look for any errors that relate to those Explorer crashes. When you find one, double-click on the entry to view the results in a new window. Use the "Copy" button that's there and paste the info here.

If you don't find anything in the System section then try "Applications" instead.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

.........and another place to check for clues is Vista's "Problem Reports and Solutions" center - just hit the Start button and type problems and it'll appear at the top of the list.

If your Explorer problem appears in the list then click on it and see if it offers a fix or an explanation of what caused it.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Had similar problems on Win 7 and was caused by a beta program. Once the program was uninstalled the problem disappeared. Check what different programs you have installed.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you so much for this. Ok, here is what 'Applications' shows me:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/EXPLORER111.jpg

And does this help?

**explorer.exe 6.0.6002.18005 49e01da5 QuickTimeH264.qtx 7.71.80.42 4ea5d66c c0000005 0018f034 26b0 01cce3fd53a75cd0**

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ooh interesting: Problems reported this:

**Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: explorer.exe Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005 Application Timestamp: 49e01da5 Fault Module Name: QuickTimeH264.qtx Fault Module Version: 7.71.80.42 Fault Module Timestamp: 4ea5d66c Exception Code: c0000005 Exception Offset: 0018f034 OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Additional Information 1: 3216 Additional Information 2: 197410d0d145a3452a1904a28e93e99a Additional Information 3: 6088 Additional Information 4: ffe68ae70e6f2cd950f3fc7d5257c9e6**

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"......Fault Module Name: QuickTimeH264.qtx...."

Your error log appears to show Apple's QuickTime as being the culprit that crashed Explorer. I'm assuming that all previous crashes show the same details. If so then try this:

Go to Control Panel -> Programs & Features, uninstall QuickTime, restart your PC and let us know whether that's fixed it.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you SOOOOOOO much!!!!

i wont close this thread yet.....but it seems to be ok!!!! My LORD i am happy!!!!!!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update - it's appreciated.

At some point you'll probably need QuickTime again so you can download it from here.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)