We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Should I adjust, replace or reload my anti-malware software?

rickus

Likes # 0

I have a number of issues on my 7 year old desktop and am wondering whether some of them are caused by my anti-malware software.

ISSUES

Slow start-up - This is getting progressively longer. There seems to be a lot of disk activity for 3 or 4 minutes before I can do anything.

Java slow to load - Takes up to a minute to load whichever browser I am using

Warnings about various sites' security certificates - These have recently become much more frequent. My time and date appear to be correct.

Warning messages first time receiving and sending mails - I use Outlook Express to access various e-mail accounts. When I first open Outlook Express (i.e. when it is looking to receive mails the first time) and the first time in that session I send a mail I get this Internet Security Warning message: "The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified. A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider..." If I click Yes then the message does not come up again that session. The problem is with my main account at Sky. This worked fine initially but now always has this problem. My account settings appear to be as Sky recommend and Sky don't have an answer.

SOFTWARE
WindowsXP Home Edition - Version 5.1 Service Pack 3
Outlook Express 6 - Version 6.00.2900.5512
Comodo firewall 2.4.19.185 - Application Monitor ON, Component Monitor LEARNING, Network Monitor ON, Application Behaviour Anlysis ON, Security Configuration CUSTOM
Microsoft Security Essentials - Real-time protection on. Virus and spyware definitions up to date
Spyware Terminator 2012 - Version 3.0.0.54 Real-time protection ON, Anti-virus protection OFF
Browser - Chrome (downloaded this week) was Firefox before this week and occasionally Internet Explorer
I tend to run CCleaner about once a month

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

First thing for me to notice is that you're running Microsoft Security Essentials with Spyware Terminator 2012. Even with the AV turned off it is still 'live' scanning and possibly scans, or updates, on bootup. I'd be inclined to uninstall Spyware Terminator and just run with Microsoft Security Essentials as the sole 'live' running security program.

Check how to remove spyware terminator in case you need to disable all its features first before removal. For extra manual scanning for malware try the free versions only of Malwarebytes and/or superantispyware. These need definitions updates checked manually as well as scanning.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would run CCleaner more often. I would download free Superantispyware (and /or Malawarebytes) - they can find and clear adaware tracking cookies that may have been missed by MSE. Also I assume you have defragged your drive? I prefer the free Auslogics Disc Defrag to the windows one as it is quicker. I do not have any experience with Spyware Terminator so cannot comment on it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you can find Fruitbat's guide to solving slow running pc's then it couldw ell be worthwhile starting with that. You have an "elderly" system which almost certainly has accumulated junk and may be wearing out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Should have asked are you sure that the time and date are correct? Have you ever replaced the cmos battery?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Another thought - How much RAM do you have?

Like this post
rickus

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for the replies

I have never replaced the cmos battery. The tie appears to be about 5 or 6 seconds ahead of the real time, checking it against this http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=136

The system has 1.43gb of RAM

I have not run a defrag for a while. Will get one going now and then look into removing Spyware Terminator

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

1.43 gb of RAM - Are you sure of that. It sounds like memory with shared graphics.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide