We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

problem with excel files

palinka
Resolved

Likes # 0

I posted this a day or two ago, but it doesn't apearwhen I check throuhgh my posts, so I'm trying again. (can anyone find my original post on thsi topic?) We’ve recently found that Excel files behave a little strangely : 1. We close them at the size we used them , but when we re-open they are always smaller. 2. when we drag a file back out to the size we want it, it doesn’t don’t move with the mouse, as it used to do but in a single jump after that. Is this likely to be the result of the following: We normally use a Dell wide monitor measuring 17” diagonal (17x11visible screen) but recently we had to revert temporarily to an old monitor of standard proportions.

As far as we have discovered, it is only Excel files that are affected – Word & Publisher, for instance, are unchanged. We have used the same mouse throughout. How can we fix these irritations, please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Your original post was found under your profile Original thread. You have to look under discussions you have started further down the page.

But cannot greatly help with your Excel snag. Try opening two instances of Excel. Stretch second to correct size, close first window open, then close second.

Which OS and which version of Office?

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

thanks, Woolwell. OS is Vista, Excel is 2000 - both these unchanged for last 4 years (and Excel obviously unchanged for 12 years).

I've tried your suggestion re saving but it still reverts to small size on re-opening.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Ok try this:

Open Excel - Maximise the window and save your spreadsheet and then close the window.

or

Right click on your Excel or the Excel program from under all programs (or whatever you click on to launch Excel), choose properties and then on the shortcut tab look for run and then choose maximised.

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Woolwell: your first suggestion is what I've been trying - it has no effect; when next opened that window is back to small size.

2nd suggestion I can't do - no "shortcut tab".

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is this Excel 2010?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Sorry you already told me Excel 2000. Right click and look for run and that should give you the option to open maximised.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Failing that try a command switch /i

Like this post
palinka

Likes # 0

Well, it seems to be OK now. Don't know why, except that we haven't opened any of our excel files for a few days. And I've done a big spring-clean of files of all kinds. Thank you, Woolwell & others. Problem solved, apparently.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia