We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard drive Partition on Laptop

CAPES

Likes # 0

My son has a Samsung RV511 Laptop, it runs windows 7 and has around a 600GB Hard drive which is partitioned at 230GB Drive C and 340GB Drive D, He has filled drive C and moved a lot of video, music and picture files over to D. Is there a way of increasing the size of the drive C partition? Mark

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If you mess with Partitions Without Creating a Image of the Drive to a External Drive, Any faults may lose you the Restore of the Operating System on the laptop

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

First you need to create a mirror image of drive C: (for safety ) then move all data from drive D: to an external source, portable hdd, dvd, memory stick. If you have the option to create re-install disks... do so. Then go into Disk Management........ delete partition D: and extend partition C: to include the whole disk. Google it and print out the instructions if you're not familiar with the process, Good Luck !

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

As already advised you may risk loseing not only your data but also recovery as its unknown where this hidden partion is stored Personally I would not advise deleating any partions. Purchase an external drive ( powered )Then use that to not only store data but also creat a disc image, and a back up of your drives. If you still wish to change the size of your partions aftr the above has been done this can be done using the disc management tools found in start/control pannel/system. The method I would suggest if you intend useing this route, is highlight c and shrink ( not deleat as it may well contain the hidden recovary partion may be anywhere ) then select D and expand

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Hidden Recovery Partitions are not 'hidden within C:' nor are they hidden very well as you can see in above link.

Windows Disc Management can do simple partition operations (shrink/expand).

However, often some other simple operations are often unavailable or greyed out.

I recommend Partition Wizard (Free).

Right click D: and Move/Resize to a smaller size. If C: is adjacent to the left, you can simply resize that to fill the new empty space.

If another partitions is in the way, you will have to move it to get Unallocated space immediately to the right of C:.

The risk of a problem is low, make sure you don't lose power during operations though.

-x-x-

A set of Recovery DVDs and Regular backups/Images to an external HDD are good practice for any system.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Before resizing, I wuld look critically at what is on the C: Drive. I only keep the system and programme files on it. In my case the C drive (110Gig) is only half full.There is a free Treesize application that would help. I have even moved my Outlook( EMail) to my data partition. To use most of a 230 Gig drive for non - data seems very odd.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

You're never alone with a clone: How the App Store got taken over by copycats

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded