We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Losing internet connection after terminating phone call

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a difficult relative who lives some distance from me with a problem with his internet connection. Regrettably he gets very grumpy when trying to discuss with him the problem to the extent that you begin to feel that you were responsible for his problem in the first place. In all the years I have spent helping people with PC problems he is the most awkward person ever and if he was not a relative I would just put the phone down on him.

He makes life difficult to help him as when asking for help over the phone he claims to follow your instruction, but you know he is clicking on other areas whilst following(?) those instructions. His current particular problem seems to be that if, whilst connected to the internet he makes/receives a phone call, 9 times out of 10 he loses the internet connection on him closing that call, and has to wait some five minutes or so before that internet connection is resumed. He has a Thomson TG585 V8, A BT Freelance XD100 phone. There is one BT socket in the house.

I am losing patience and would welcome any advice - except putting the phone down, as he will invariably come back.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Most likely a faulty filter. Try changing it and if there is no improvement contact BT as it is likely to be a line fault.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Jollyjohn

Filter has been changed and BT say (via his provider) that there is no fault on the line.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

Cant think what else would cause disconnection. Is it possible to try a different phone?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Is there other telephone equipment in the house not fitted with a filter? Duff or missing filter is the only reason that I know of for this symptom.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If he is using a cordless 'phone and the PC is connected wirelessly then it might be an option to change the channel the router is broadcasting.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

I tried in the first place to establish by a process of elimination the cause of the problem.

Initially I asked him to change the filter and he did(?).

I asked him to check and change the telephone cable from BT socket to router but he had great difficulty in grasping which cable that was. I asked him to obtain an analogue phone, try that and he did(?)

onthelimit1.

No other equipment in the house.

rdave13

He says his provider apparently remotely changed his router channel.

The main problem is that he is not meticulous in his approach to any problem so that when questioned the answers are varied.

I shall have to start all over again with him on the phone by eliminating each possibilty one by one. Unfortunately his ability and knowledge of anything PC connected is, in a nutshell - useless, and he gets agitated if you repeat the question.

I know the opinions being expressed - Leave him to it,you cannot help people who get annoyed with the person helping.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wonder how they remotely changed the router channel?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13 The gentleman from the provider who was not of UK origin used remote access to do this it is claimed.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Remote access = something akin to Teamviewer

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I had similar problems with a friend of mine losing sync whenever an incoming or outgoing call occured. In his case it was due to the extreme length of the BT line to his house, he could only just get BB to work, so that ANY disturbance on the line would cause a drop out. Is your relative in that position ? If so, then there is virtually no way of ensuring a decent service. Good luck, and lots of patience !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback