We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Losing internet connection after terminating phone call

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a difficult relative who lives some distance from me with a problem with his internet connection. Regrettably he gets very grumpy when trying to discuss with him the problem to the extent that you begin to feel that you were responsible for his problem in the first place. In all the years I have spent helping people with PC problems he is the most awkward person ever and if he was not a relative I would just put the phone down on him.

He makes life difficult to help him as when asking for help over the phone he claims to follow your instruction, but you know he is clicking on other areas whilst following(?) those instructions. His current particular problem seems to be that if, whilst connected to the internet he makes/receives a phone call, 9 times out of 10 he loses the internet connection on him closing that call, and has to wait some five minutes or so before that internet connection is resumed. He has a Thomson TG585 V8, A BT Freelance XD100 phone. There is one BT socket in the house.

I am losing patience and would welcome any advice - except putting the phone down, as he will invariably come back.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

spuds Sorry I thought that I had posted that a competent(?) PC engineer had been to visit upon recommendation from a friend of the aforementioned relative. The engineer(?) spent seemingly no more than five minutes and said it was not the router and then left making no charge, - Make what you will of that, - perhaps it was frustration at dealing with a difficult person or maybe he was not as knowledgeable as was believed by the friend.

I have finally decided that I am unable to help him further and will leave it to him and his provider, I feel drained every time he calls.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

BT have been this afternoon .......................... IT WAS A FAULT ON THE LINE 90 feet away from the premises. So much for the provider repeatedly stating "there is no fault on the line". Phone working - no noises at all. No losing internet connection upon putting the phone down. I can sleep now and not be apprehensive when the phone rings.

I hope.

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

Phew #:-S

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

One problem solved. "I hope"

Phone rings/next question: How do I get a refund on a £60 surplus router, and perhaps a £160 call-out fee (that's not been cancelled), plus compensation?. :o)

I wish you well.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

spuds

Relative knows my views on refund and cost of visit. I don't intend crating further agitation by repeating them to him as I hope that he might have settled down to a normality .It will also allow me to return to a somewhat normal way of life.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......