We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Losing internet connection after terminating phone call

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a difficult relative who lives some distance from me with a problem with his internet connection. Regrettably he gets very grumpy when trying to discuss with him the problem to the extent that you begin to feel that you were responsible for his problem in the first place. In all the years I have spent helping people with PC problems he is the most awkward person ever and if he was not a relative I would just put the phone down on him.

He makes life difficult to help him as when asking for help over the phone he claims to follow your instruction, but you know he is clicking on other areas whilst following(?) those instructions. His current particular problem seems to be that if, whilst connected to the internet he makes/receives a phone call, 9 times out of 10 he loses the internet connection on him closing that call, and has to wait some five minutes or so before that internet connection is resumed. He has a Thomson TG585 V8, A BT Freelance XD100 phone. There is one BT socket in the house.

I am losing patience and would welcome any advice - except putting the phone down, as he will invariably come back.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I am still inclined to think that it is to do with a possible frequency problem, perhaps on the telephone handset.

With regards to the fee, when I had problems with TalkTalk, they said that it would cost £99.99 to send an engineer. I got them down to £29.00. When the engineer turned up (a local contractor) he asked for a signature before starting the job. He wanted to charge £49.99, which I refused, and the form was amended to £29.00. The engineer found the fault (on TalkTalk's side) within 5 minutes, and no fee was paid.

I would still suggest that he looks in the local area for someone qualified to run checks and setting-up.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

spuds, and there is the similarity with my problem but my ISP knew that the engineer they would send (for £60) would only check the peripherals in the home, concerning the internet, for faults. I don't have internet and phone in the same package and they told me that it would be a waste of money, fair play to them. I, personally, would let the ISP/phone provider check for faults and have it sorted once and for all even with the chance of getting a £160 bill at the end of it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have found a post on skyuser forum that has exactly same problem and temporary fix is to use two filters in series, I think the fault is something to do with the grey box outside.

Too much to paste all details on here so have a read of thread skyuser forum

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Forgot to say, scroll down to last post which seems to sum up the problem. Posted by Old_nick:

"This problem is quite often caused by a high-resistance joint somewhere in the line. The joint acts like a crude rectifier, and it rectifies the ADSL signal to produce noises in the audible range (you can't normally hear ADSL signals). This bad joint could be anywhere in the cable, but it's likely to be outside, because the problem is caused by corrosion. The problem should be most pronounced after a dry spell, because these corroded joints actually work a little better when they are wet. Obviously, only BT can fix the problem, so you should contact the ISP."

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

lotvic exactly what compumac's friend did. Asked in previous post if this was OK but not got a reply specifically for that. Even so it would only be a temporary fix, I think, as the problem will get worse over time.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13

Relation did try two filters in series but exactly the same scenario .

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

compumac, but you said on page 3 @ February 10, 2012 at 8:29PM

"Relative suggested putting one filter into another .......... So far since using two filters in series he has not lost his connection!!!"

and on page 4 February 10, 2012 at 10:26PM

"It appears that he has put the two filters in series but used the first filter for his broadband and the second filter for his phone line"

So as rdave13 is I think suggesting, Has he tried with both phone and Router connected to the 2nd filter that is plugged into the 1st filter that is plugged into the master socket?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Lotvic

In a sentence - No.

I should have replied against the two filters in series and working OK - that did not last long. With regard to plugging into the second filter in series, he has not tried that as far as I can ascertain. The problem that I have is that when you put forward any suggestion he gets very agitated with you and makes life difficult, you are never completely sure that he has followed your advice. I tell him to do ONLY what I tell him and do not click on anything else but you know he does!!! I will try to get him try the two filters in series and insert into second filter.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Should have read that I did not believe that he had tried both phone and router into second socket.

The reality that with his attitude you cannot be 100% certain as to what he has actually done.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"you cannot be 100% certain as to what he as actually done".

Been there, done it, hence my suggestion of trying to get someone local and qualified enough, who would try various things. In my location we have a number of people, who are quite handy at this type of trouble-shooting, for £20.00 an hour or a good drink.

I tend to find, that when you try to help from a distance,it starts to become 'your problem and responsibility', due to the advice you are trying to convey. Best to give up, and try to walk away from it, because it only becomes a bigger headache!.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK