We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Losing internet connection after terminating phone call

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a difficult relative who lives some distance from me with a problem with his internet connection. Regrettably he gets very grumpy when trying to discuss with him the problem to the extent that you begin to feel that you were responsible for his problem in the first place. In all the years I have spent helping people with PC problems he is the most awkward person ever and if he was not a relative I would just put the phone down on him.

He makes life difficult to help him as when asking for help over the phone he claims to follow your instruction, but you know he is clicking on other areas whilst following(?) those instructions. His current particular problem seems to be that if, whilst connected to the internet he makes/receives a phone call, 9 times out of 10 he loses the internet connection on him closing that call, and has to wait some five minutes or so before that internet connection is resumed. He has a Thomson TG585 V8, A BT Freelance XD100 phone. There is one BT socket in the house.

I am losing patience and would welcome any advice - except putting the phone down, as he will invariably come back.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

'Possibly one is duff'

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13 It appears that he has put the two filters in series but used the first filter for his broadband and the second filter for his phone line. It is/has been difficult to establish exactly what he has done, as I advised hin in the very first instance to obtain a bog standard analogue phone and just use that to see if it made any difference. He is now telling me that he did that but could not remember the outcome. As I said, it is very awkward trying to help him. - More than awkward. I am just going to back away now as it impossible to help someone who gets agitated at every suggestion for no reason. He apparently had a computer literate(??) person visit him but that person only stayed five minutes, why I do not know but can only hazard a guess.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

compumac, I sympathise but you can only help so much. My last suggestion to your good self is that for your friend to disconnect the router and all filters. Live without the 'net for half a day and leave only the telephone connected. If dialling, say, 1471, and you hear some interference while the BT computer's woman's voice is talking, then that would suggest a line fault. If not willing to get a BT engineer in then he'll have to invest in a cheap corded phone to eliminate that the phones he has already are not deteriorating. Cordless do deteriorate as everything else.

If all suggestions fail then lift you arms and enjoy

Always makes me want to 'move' as I can't dance..............

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

compumac

You have mentioned 'dual' filters. If there is a 'BT master socket' and a connection is made direct from that, then there is already a filter device, and further filter devices are not required.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

rdave13

What you mentioned in your yesterday's 8.45pm post, as possibly happened to hundreds of people, it as certainly happened to me recently (again), with the final results that the fault was on the service provider's part.

My most recent episode was when I could not receive incoming calls, but I could sent outward calls. I didn't notice this problem, until someone told me of the problem of trying to make contact, and had been trying to do so for a number of days!.

My ISP (TalkTalk) *insisted* that there was not a line fault, so I gave them a little test to try. Gave them my mobile phone number, so that we could remain in direct contact, then requested that they telephoned me on the land-line. They then came back to me, saying that they had tried this. I asked "Did anyone answer?", Their reply "No". I replied "In that case there must be a line fault, because the phone I was standing near, didn't ring". BT Openreach then became involved, they conducted tests and attended the property, and their line and equipment was found at fault.

Basically this type of apparent regular problem all came down initially to cost and who would be held responsible to pay?.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Relative has now had new filters, new telephone, a new cable from BT socket to router, as well as a replacement router sent to him by his provider. He still has the problem of being connected to the internet and then when using the landline phone, upon terminating the telephone call the broadband connection is lost. The provider is saying that the replacement router they have sent to him must be faulty and have persuaded him to part with £60 for yet another router!!!!!!

He also has a buzzing sound whilst using the phone; the buzzing sound disappears if he switches the router off.

He has connected the phone directly into the master socket, thereby bypassing the filter, and does not get any buzzing.

I am reluctant to offer him further advice as he gets very irritated at any suggestion, despite him asking for that advice.

I have indicated that if it was ME I would get the provider, albeit through BT, to physically check the line even if it did cost me.

Any other suggestions out there?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If he has it set up as in these diagrams http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php then the only thing I can think of is interference, perhaps he needs to change the channel on his router if he is using a cordless phone.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Having read the thread again, there's been a new router, cable, filter and phone used and problem persists. With just the phone connected there's no hissing,crackling or buzzing noise. I assume the internet speed is ok and no dropping of connection with just the router connected? With the router connected through a filter and another filter connected to that filter and the phone connected to the second filter it works better? Is there still a buzzing noise on the phone? With the plate removed there is also no noise.

Just reading this thread if there's no other extension then it seems there should be no wires connected to the face plate. Just wondering if the problem is there?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave13 No other wires involved.

Provider supplied him with a third router today at a cost of £60 to him and the problem still persists. Provider has at last agreed to a proper line test at a cost of £160 to be paid by him if the fault is found to be in his home. I suggested that therefore the third router be returned to the provider who in turn stated that he should keep it as he needed a new one anyway???

He has a two year contract with six months left and if he were to leave at this time for another provider, that, as his telephone line is contracted as a business as well as for home use he would have to pay in the region of £400 to cancel, that equates to £66/month?

Comments invited.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You don't say who the provider is but it sounds as it's not BT hence the risk of having to pay £160. Personally I would insist on returning the router as it's made no difference. If it comes down to a fault in the house then it's £60 saved to pay the bill. I would also continue with the contract until it runs out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...