We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Losing internet connection after terminating phone call

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a difficult relative who lives some distance from me with a problem with his internet connection. Regrettably he gets very grumpy when trying to discuss with him the problem to the extent that you begin to feel that you were responsible for his problem in the first place. In all the years I have spent helping people with PC problems he is the most awkward person ever and if he was not a relative I would just put the phone down on him.

He makes life difficult to help him as when asking for help over the phone he claims to follow your instruction, but you know he is clicking on other areas whilst following(?) those instructions. His current particular problem seems to be that if, whilst connected to the internet he makes/receives a phone call, 9 times out of 10 he loses the internet connection on him closing that call, and has to wait some five minutes or so before that internet connection is resumed. He has a Thomson TG585 V8, A BT Freelance XD100 phone. There is one BT socket in the house.

I am losing patience and would welcome any advice - except putting the phone down, as he will invariably come back.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The problem when exchange distances are quoted, doesn't mean that the service is going to be the same, because the age, equipment and different situation might occur. The exchange I use is about 1 mile away as the crow flies, I have been told that the line is about 2/3 miles in length, with many connections in between.

Is there a 'computer engineer' in your relations area, if so, then perhaps try their services. The other alternative is to ask the ISP for assistance, and arrange an home visit. TalkTalk, who I use, now have local home visit teams, like PCW, who will do this type of work. With TalkTalk, if the fault is found to be on their side, there will not be a charge. Usually its a standard fixed charge.

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

What I would do next is connect remotely to the PC, using TeamviewerQS (Quick support) and then get the relative to hang up and watch the lights on the router. What do they do? I an expecting at least one to go out / turn red. Ring back and re establish the Teamviewer connection and have a look in his Event Viewer, this may give some info about the dropped connection.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Relative had tried 5 different filters, with new router and new telephone cable from socket to router, connected directly into the back connect in the incoming telephone socket. Still the same - every time on terminating a telephone cal the broadband lights throw a wobbly and the broadband connection is lost but returns after a few minutes.

Relative suggested putting one filter into another - I poohooed the idea. So far since using two filters in series he has not lost his connection!!!

Does that make sense at all?

Like this post
markd71

Likes # 0

Tell him to get a mobile

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

compumac, usually using two filters in series should result in no internet connection!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

By the way, had a noisy line recently and BT said the line was clear. Did my own line test on BT's site and that showed up clear. On phoning India or Pakistan, not sure which, and explaining my line fault to a very understanding lady, who was having difficulty hearing me as the interference was a bit deafening at times, she insisted on running a line test again. I put the phone down and she rang back after two minutes. The test shows clear she said but agreed that there was a lot of 'crackling' on my line. Agreed for engineer to call under the threat of a charge of £130 if fault on my property. Fault found 880 metres from my house and corrected within an hour. So these line checks aren't foolproof.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

rdave I agree ref the two filters in line, but....

He is very concerned about the cost of a visit from BT costing as he said about £160.

markd He has a mobile.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's what the help line people told me too. So I'll hunt for BT's email showing the £130 cost. I had to take the gamble as my 'phone and Internet connection were bad. Ended up with a Openreach master box, no cost, and a good line. Internet will take a few days to reach my old profile again. Will post a link of the email.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Email copy This is what I received from BT.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Regarding two filter in series, possibly is duff?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014