We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Losing internet connection after terminating phone call

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a difficult relative who lives some distance from me with a problem with his internet connection. Regrettably he gets very grumpy when trying to discuss with him the problem to the extent that you begin to feel that you were responsible for his problem in the first place. In all the years I have spent helping people with PC problems he is the most awkward person ever and if he was not a relative I would just put the phone down on him.

He makes life difficult to help him as when asking for help over the phone he claims to follow your instruction, but you know he is clicking on other areas whilst following(?) those instructions. His current particular problem seems to be that if, whilst connected to the internet he makes/receives a phone call, 9 times out of 10 he loses the internet connection on him closing that call, and has to wait some five minutes or so before that internet connection is resumed. He has a Thomson TG585 V8, A BT Freelance XD100 phone. There is one BT socket in the house.

I am losing patience and would welcome any advice - except putting the phone down, as he will invariably come back.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"The gentleman from the provider who was not of UK origin used remote access to do this it is claimed." I do hope that this was not one of the scam cold calls.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Woolwell No, it was definitely via his provider. I have on a great number of calls to the relative stated - Under no circumstances allow that to happen.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I must say that I feel sorry for both yourself and the person in question, because some people can get very grumpy and uncooperative for a number of reasons, and at times it doesn't help the situation or either parties.

Would it not be possible to visit the person and do any necessary checks, so preventing any further confusion?.

All the suggestions regarding filters, equipment seem to have been made, but I have found that when you contact an ISP customer support line, they usually suggest that a 'wireless' type phone might cause disconnections. Does he have any wireless type phones or an emergency red button alert system (apparently some of these work on the same frequency to a router, and the router frequency needs changing)?.

Is there a master socket. Is the interior line 'hard wired' or loose 'soft flexi' cable. Because sometimes a problem could be caused by using and connecting the wrong wires,especially on a ringer system, which could cause a problem?.

Asking for a line check,then getting a response that everything is okay, isn't always the correct answer. I have had "the lines okay" on a number of occasions, only to find the line wasn't okay, which as usually turned out to be an exchange and outside line problem. If its a BT line, then you can do your own checks.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

spuds It is too far to visit.

Just one DECT phone but he replaced that with an anlogue phone to see if the Digital phone was the cause.

The face plate of the incoming BT connection was removed and the phone was connected directly into that socket via the filter.

He has had the line checked, BUT his provider is NOT BT and he is adamant that the line is OK.

Unfortunately when you ask him to re-check he gets very uppity and make life difficult. I should state that he is not senile but just * awkward to discuss with.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"awkward to discuss with". Is he a member of this forum?!!!

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Woolwell No way! I did think of advising him of this forum but then I would have everybody boycotting me!

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Update. The provider has forwarded a new router,filters and a new phone wire to plug into phone socket/router. - The problem is still there. It might very well be the distance from the BT exchange as has been suggested by amonra. The provider is claiming that they are checking/monitoring the line. In the interim are there any other thoughts out there?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Addendum:

My exchange is 1 mile away, my relations exchange is 1.1 mile away from him. Any comments?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Mine is 2 miles away and I get around 6.5 rock steady speed.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

P.S. If there is only the BT master socket, and no other internal cabling and replacing the router etc makes no difference, it has to be the line or the equipment in the exchange.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...