We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hacked Email advice ?... what has happened here ?

mooly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have just receieved an email that shows up in BTYahoo as being from someone we know. Although this person does have my email address, we never actually contact each other via email.

So it was a surprise to see an email "from XXXXX". The "from" field appeared as their first and second name @btinternet dot com and so I opened it.

The "to" field also shows as this persons email address and not mine. The BT quick reply box has a "rocketmail" address showing.

It's obviously a scam as it reads "we and the family are in Spain, been mugged no money....." all very well written, in just the correct gramatical style that this person would use.

The person in question lives alone, recently widowed, been in hospital...

So what has happened ? The email uses first and second name terms, that's why I opened it as although unexpected it appeared legit.

I'm guessing their email account has been compromised in some way.

Also, does this mean that the email address I gave to them is compromised now ?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

This is known as the stranded traveller scam and has been around for some time. I had one about 6 months ago. See this The spammers/scammers/phishers have probably obtained details by hacking an account somewhere. It could be Facebook, hotmail or an e-mail account or company website.

I doubt that your e-mail address is compromised. Certainly the person you know need to run malware and virus scans and change their passwords. For greater security you could change your e-mail password.

Like this post  
mooly

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell... that's pretty much the style of the email. I will change my password though just to be sure.

thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia