We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless keys on laptop

22moodindigo
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Gareway laptop MT6839b...I am trying to turn wireless on.. before going wireless...I have tried Fn+F2..can't see symbol on lower right screen can't see a switch on sides or bottom..the laptop is able to go wireless it has sticker 802.a/b/g11 I run Vista ..my router is Echolife HG 520b wireless supplied by Talktalk.... can anyone help...I think I need to go somewhere "inside" to enable wireless ?? Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Check card is working in device manager

Like this post
22moodindigo

Likes # 0

Thanks FB...looked in device manager.not sure what to do there...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try Fn and F1,

Not a little switch on the front or sides that you turn on is there or a key that looks like a radio mast.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It is not on the start of the touchpad is it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It should be Fn+F2 I think according to ClickHere

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In device manager open + network adaptors are there any exclamation marks (red or yellow) against the wireless adaptor?

Like this post
22moodindigo

Likes # 0

Tried Fn+F2 and other combinations..pressed F2 ( which has wireless symbol)..no go

Looked at device manager...Network Adaptors..shows Intel (R) PRO/wireless 3945ABG Network Connection.....................seems ok...no yellow or red symbols....I double clicked on there..another box appeared telling me it was working correctly........I am stumped !!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It's definitely hold down FN key and press F2 according to the pdf: 8511884 - Gateway Notebook Reference Guide for Windows Vista

The wireless status indicator light is at the bottom right below the touchpad (((o)))

OR you could: Click Start -> All Programs -> Accessories then click on Window Mobility Centre.

The Windows Mobility Centre opens, now you can click on 'Turn Wireless ON' or 'Turn Wireless OFF'

Like this post  
22moodindigo

Likes # 0

looked at touchpad as I clicked Fn+F2...all very faint on pad...BUT as I click Fn+F2 a light goes on and off....but on bottom lefthand side of touchpad.....so THAT must be it..!! ..I was looking at r/h side of task bar for symbol..never thought of lights on pad.....GREAT....Thank you ALL...very much I think all is now ok..!!! Many thanks again...u have made a dummy..happy !!!!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Glad it's sorted, and it was my typo that confused location of status indicator:

should have been

The wireless status indicator light is at the bottom left, right below the touchpad (((o)))

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia