We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My AVG shows Warning message.

peter99co
Resolved

Likes # 0

My AVG free has suggested that a file in my system,

C:\progam files (x86\Magix\Audio Cleaning Lab\DVDAudio.dll...

is A Corrupted executable File and is Potentially Dangerous.

This is a scan taken after installing Version 18 of the current Magix Audio Cleaning Sofware.

Is it a False Positive?

It suggests Remove or Remove unhealed. Which is correct option please?

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I have found it can be sent to the vault but it warned it may cause system crash etc.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

AVG - Suspicion: unknown virus - Detection ratio: 1 / 43

Because 42 scanners said that file's clean, it's as you suspected, an AVG false positive.

Are you able to tell AVG to ignore that file? If not then you may be able to add it as an exception or put it on the "Allowed" list via AVG's "Advanced Settings" section.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

That is good advice. Thank you for your help.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

That was a good question.

Are you able to tell AVG to ignore that file? If not then you may be able to add it as an exception or put it on the "Allowed" list via AVG's "Advanced Settings" section.

Never having done this before I cant find how to tell AVG.

As far as making it an exception, What section is it in? Anti root or Programs exceptions. Or Identity Protection allowed list

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

Final question I hope.

It suggests Remove or Remove unhealed. Which is correct option please?

Or neither because it is false.

Just ignore because when I get the exception bit set it will go away?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"As far as making it an exception, What section is it in? Anti root or Programs exceptions. Or Identity Protection allowed list........"

Ah, I see what you mean - there are numerous lists where you can add that file and I'm not sure which section applies to scheduled scans.

The best thing thing you can do is to send the file to AVG where they'll analyse it, determine it's safe and then remove it from their virus definitions database - instructions can be found HERE if you'd like to proceed with this. That'll help everyone else who uses AVG and Magix Audio Cleaning Software.

"It suggests Remove or Remove unhealed. Which is correct option please?...Or neither because it is false."

Because the "threat" was discovered as part of a scan, I'm assuming that it's just sitting there waiting for you to select an action. If that's the case then just ignore it. You certainly don't want to remove it as we now know it's a clean file.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

More news later. Thanks so far. Interesting procedure.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

I sent a mail to AVG and they have responded. I now have to send a copy of the file by Zip.

Like this post
peter99co

Likes # 0

UPDATE: Well done Free AVG. The file was in error after all.

They corrected the file which was 'cut'? They then returned it to me in a Zip for restoration to the Software containing the suspect file.

The old file was renamed .old and the new file extracted from the zip was dragged and dropped into place.

A fresh scan showed everything was OK.

The 1 in 43 came down in AVG's favour after all.

Like this post  
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

That was an unexpected outcome! Thanks for the feedback.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'