We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is a good Upload speed??

clock
Resolved

Likes # 0

Have good 7.3 Download speed, but 38.2 mbps upload speed which is slow on the speed test I've just done. But is it reasonable? Plus I'm not really sure about the difference between download and upload speed. Some pages are really slow to give results and Internet Explorer is "not responding" more frequently at the moment. Ideas??

Clock

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

You do not mean 38.2Mb

I assume you mean Kb, if so then this is very slow and you should speakmto your ISP

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"but 38.2 mbps upload speed which is slow on the speed test I've just done."

No one has an upload speed that fast ;) Have you got the decimal point in the wrong place perhaps? If it's actually .382Mbps (382Kbps) then that's perfectly acceptable.

Like this post
clock

Likes # 0

Hi Secret Squirrel, (love the name!)

Of course I got the decimal point in the wrong place, silly me, should have been .382 mbps, sorry! Did the test again and it was the same, it's just that the upload speed looks so slow on the dial you see during the test, and I had been having trouble with Internet Explorer "not responding" recently.

If that is a good speed than I'm happy,thanks for replies, call this resolved if I can work out how to do that!!!

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My speedtest today was 9.75 Mbps download; 0.875 Mbps upload. I am on a "Up to 8 Mbps" contract, so very good. However there have been some bad dips from time to time.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"it's just that the upload speed looks so slow on the dial you see during the test...."

It's the same for everyone - the upload speed is always a lot lower than the download speed. Depending on your ISP and the package you're on, normal upload speeds can vary from yours to around 1Mbps. That's not usually a problem as we spend most of our time downloading - ie: webpages, files, and programs etc. We upload when we send e-mails and add our own videos to YouTube etc. If you do a lot of that then a faster upload speed is better.

If you'd like your IE problem sorted then it's probably best to start a new thread with a descriptive title.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

For interest the clue is in the name - ADSL - Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line - Asymmetric, The up-speed to not symmetrical to the down. More useless information :-)

I think most users (well me that is) want faster up-speeds rather than faster down. The problem is that is is far more technically difficult or expensive to achieve though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad