We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

blackberry water damage

//adz_w///

Likes # 0

hi, my sister dropped her blackberry in a cup of tea she took it out straight away and dried it useing a hair dryer then put the battery in to see if it was still working i know this may have fried the insides but is there any potability of fixing it ive took the battery back out and left it next to the radiator to dry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I do not own a Blackberry, but there appears to be some confusion as to whether a Blackberry is waterproof or not. In 2008 Blackberry seemed to say that they were waterproofing their devices, and at the same time placed a sticker inside the units, which should change colour if the unit was dropped in water. This was done for warranty reasons.

Looking on the internet, some people seem to say that they have dropped their Blackberry down the loo, in a sink full of water, and all as worked fine. Others have mentioned that theirs got wet in a rain-shower, and theirs didn't work afterwards.

The attempt at drying seems fair, providing to much heat wasn't use, just 'gentle' heat.

I suppose the next step, is to reassemble, then try it out. Failing that, call the customer care centre!.

Like this post
//adz_w///

Likes # 0

ive too looked up online and saw al that its a few cm away from the radiator enough for gental heat ill give it a few hours or wait till Thursday to start booting it but if we cant do that we'll call customer care support

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Accidental damage will not be covered unless you have taken out insurance with it.

I would leave it as long as possible to allow it to dry properly.

But as she has already tried starting it and it did not work the damage may already have been done.

Not saying it wont start it probably will but maybe some of the programs may be missing or not work properly.

Maybe if you can get the back or front covers off and blow some cool or warm air in using a hairdrier may help.

best of luck I hope it works Ok for you.

Like this post
stlucia2

Likes # 0

The general rule with all electrical/electronic devices is to take out the battery as soon as they get wet, otherwise corrosion can set in and/or components be damaged due to the moisture short-circuiting them. If the wetness is anything other than pure water, the device should be rinsed with clean water before starting the drying process. Drying should then be in a warm place for as long as possible -- certainly a matter of days rather than hours -- with as much of the covers off the device as possible.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia