We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Am I using 2 firewalls?

pookie

Likes # 0

Hi,

Windows 7 Home Premium.

I use PC Tools free firewall as a firewall and Avast as free antivirus. I notice Avast has a webshield enabled. Is that a firewall and if so can I uninstall the PC Tools firewall?

Kind regards

P

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

No they are different things, Avast is just AV. You still need your firewall

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

This might help a bit http://www.wilderssecurity.com/archive/index.php/t-81238.html

Personally I wouldn't use PC Tools firewall, there are better products available for free.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Thank you both. Which free firewall would you use? I have read Zonealarm slows pc/internet down and Commodo free internet security (firewall and antivirus) has so many pop up alerts that it has put people of using it.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

If you have a router to connect to the Internet, a Firewall is built in. (does not apply to modems)

Additionally Windows has a software Firewall, which I find perfectly adequate. (Start Search Firewall)

General info

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Yes, I have wireless modem router with firewall enabled as well. Does that then mean that I don't need firewall software on my pc?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Personally, I am happy with router+Windows Firewall.

I assume you have an Antivirus as well.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

Yes, I use Avast free as antivirus. However, I have read that latest version free Commodo internet security does not slow down computers the way older versions did. I'll uninstall PC Tools and Avast and give Commodo a go.

Thanks again

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Windows 7 has it's own perfectly adequate Firewall, you do not need another. (Make sure it is turned ON.

Avast is one of the best free AV's, I would just use that together with windows Firewall.

Like this post
pookie

Likes # 0

ok, thanks for the advice

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If PCTools is working ok, it is a good free firewall. I switched to the windows one as I had some updating issues with PCTools but whilst it was in use (free) it was fine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers