We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My laptop turns itself off (and on!)

adamfairs

Likes # 0

A few days ago my Toshiba Satelite Pro A120 turned itself off after a few hours of me working on it. I turned it on again. It switched itself off almost straight away. Sometimes it switches itself off after a few seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes hours. It also switches itself on.

The battery hasn't been in the laptop for months. The cat knocked some water over it a few months ago but I dried it out and it's been fine since.

Does anyone have any ideas of any tests I can do to narrow down the problem? Or could anyone suggest which part could be the cause?

Cheers

Adam

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The turning off sounds like an overheat problem, make sure all vents and grills are clear of fluff, and good airflow round and under it, may be use a laptop coo;er to help keep it cool.

Switching on is usually because Wake on LAN or Wake on Ring is enabled in the BIOS, boot to BIOS and make sure they are disabled.

Like this post
adamfairs

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for the reply.

I should have said; at the moment, the cover is off and there's plenty of airflow so it shouldn't be getting overheated.

I'll check the bios, thanks.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"the cover is off"

On a laptop??

Like this post
adamfairs

Likes # 0

Yep. Sorry. I've taken the monitor and top bit of the case is off so that the fan and motherboard are exposed.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

The fan usually sucks in vertically from bottom and blows horizontally out through fins in the side.

By taking the cover off, you have broken then expected air flow path.

Try putting the cover back on. Or lay a book or coaster or something on and feel if air starts coming out the side properly.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Also try Core Temp to see what your temp(s) are.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow