We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cannot connect to server

howard64
Resolved

Likes # 0

My sister phoned - neither internet explorer nor firefox can connect to the server. The pc is an xp pro sp3 connected through a netgear router. Her ipad picking up the wireless signal from the netgear router can receive and send emails. The pc can talk via the ethernet link with the router proving that the ethernet ports are working. The windows firewall has been disabled but we still cannot get a browser to connect. I have tried ipconfig /renew but have had no success. I have run out of ideas for things to try. Can anyone suggest a way forward.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

thanks all - nothing has worked up until now - I have set up a new user account and that now connects perfectly with ie and firefox. This now proves that there is nothing wrong with the pc or router but something has upset a setting somewhere on the original user account. Can anyone think what I could look at? thanks in advance.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It could be that the user account is corrupted. You need three admin accounts to transfer data from the corrupted account to the new one. The 'middle' admin account will be used to transfer from old to new. See if the new profile works with all data transfered. You'll have to backup emails as instructed,

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

Once everything is working correctly then you can delete the old corrupt profile.

Like this post
howard64

Likes # 0

My sister brought the pc to me and I found it badly corrupted and removed trojans etc. I have now used acronis to restore it to the last backup. Thanks for all suggestions.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes