We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

slow internet with eggtimer problem

bexley42

Likes # 0

I have really slow internet connection and egg timer constantly comes on. What can I get rid of on Windows 2000/Firefox. Please help, but basic please.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"It looks as if something else is using your internet bandwidth..."

What makes you think that Terry?

Have a look above and you'll see that the OP tested his download speed and received a result of 5.7Mbps - that's actually very nippy indeed ;)

Like this post
bexley42

Likes # 0

buteman - I have redone Java and Flash - no help - any more suggestions please.

Like this post
bexley42

Likes # 0

spuds what are malware or security programs? I have a very old Windows 2000 OS.

Like this post
bexley42

Likes # 0

Terry Brown - Some programmes I saw. Anything suspect?

Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX Adobe Systems Incorporated 10.1.102.64 Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin Adobe Systems Incorporated 11.1.102.55 Adobe Reader 8.3.1 Adobe Systems Incorporated 8.3.1 Aurilium Sound Agent 2 1.00.126 BT Yahoo! Applications
CCleaner Piriform 2.36 EPSON TWAIN 5
Flickr Uploadr 2.5.0.15
Hotfix for MDAC 2.71 (KB927779) Microsoft Corporation 1 Java(TM) 6 Update 30 Oracle 6.0.300 Just Great Software EditPad Lite 6.4.1 Just Great Software 6.4.1 Kodak EasyShare software Eastman Kodak Company
Lexmark 640 Series
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Microsoft Corporation
Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1 Professional Microsoft Corporation 9.00.3821 Microsoft Silverlight Microsoft Corporation 4.0.50917.0 Mozilla Firefox (3.0.1) Mozilla 3.0.1 (en-US) Picasa 2 Google, Inc. 2.0 Update Rollup 1 for Windows 2000 SP4 Microsoft Corporation 20050809.32623 Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803) Microsoft Corporation 3.1 Windows Media Player system update (9 Series)
Yahoo! Software Update

Like this post
bexley42

Likes # 0

Buteman - I have redone Java and Flash. No help. Any more suggestions?

Like this post
bexley42

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel - I gave tried Crucial System Scanner Tool but by computer is too old (Windows 2000). I don't feel happy opening machine. Any more thoughts?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

bexley42

What I was enquiring about, was whether you had any programs like Avast, AVG, ZoneAlarm,Malawarebytes etc installed on the computer.

Programs that would or should detect any problems that are being caused by items that should not be on your computer. Or programs for security and protection that might be duplicated or have not been updated!.

Its just a thought of possible elimination though?.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Secret-Squirrel - I gave tried Crucial System Scanner Tool but by computer is too old (Windows 2000). I don't feel happy opening machine. Any more thoughts?"

OK then, let's make a start with my second idea:

1) Close all visible program windows so that you only have Windows and Firefox running.

2) Go back to Task Manager's "Performance" tab and note the Commit Charge (K) Total value - make sure you include it in your reply.

3) Click the "Processes" tab then click the "Mem Usage" column heading button so that the processes using the most memory are at the top.

4) Reply and tell us the most memory-hungry processes - you'll need to include the process name and the amount of memory it's consuming.

Like this post
bexley42

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel - thanks again. Results on task manager are:

Firefox 111670 Explorer 3120 svchost 2340 taskmgr 2796 SERVICES.EXE 2332

System Idle process 99 CPU.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Results on task manager are: Firefox 111670"

That one bit of information is actually enough. It shows that Firefox is using 111MB out of a total of just 196MB.

Now, I don't whether that's to be expected for Firefox 3.0 on a modestly-specified Windows 2000 PC. It does however sound like it's using way too much available RAM. Here are a few suggestions for you:

1) Are you running any Firefox add-ons that you think could be causing these memory problems? If you find something suspicious then disable it or remove it.

2) Instead of Firefox, see if you get on better with Internet Explorer. which you'll find is already installed.

3) Try a different browser such as Opera - it's about the only new one that supports Win 2000. It gets good reviews too.

4) If you've still got the setup file for your Firefox 3 then backup your bookmarks and uninstall Firefox then re-install it - perhaps that'll help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia