We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

1st time buying a gaming pc...

leahuk
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi,

I am a complete newbie in this field. I'm looking for a gaming PC (custom or otherwise) that can play the more recent games (Battlefield 3, for example)on MAX settings.

I've been researching for days but find the whole process very confusing. I know nothing about graphics cards or rams or any of that caper so I don't think I can make my own rig; and I really wouldn't feel comfortable attempting it because I know I'd only mess it up.

I have a budget of say £1800, so if you could point me in the right direction or recommend a PC within my budget I'd very much appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Like this post
leahuk

Likes # 0

Hi Chronus.

I'm finally about to go ahead and order the Chillblast Fusion Flash. It's fully customisable so is there anything you would recommend upgrading before purchase? And would it be ok to change the box to a more attractive one or will that result in me having a nosier machine?

Also, peripherals aside... is the Chillblast Fusion Crossbow a superior or inferior machine?

http://www.chillblast.com/Chillblast-Fusion-Blackwidow-FUS-BLAB21.html

Many thanks

Leah

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

The Fusion is slightly superior but not a lot in it.

As for the case question I must admit I prefer the Corsair 600T Case of the Blackwidow but all of the cases there are pretty good,so pick whichever one you like.

Like this post
leahuk

Likes # 0

The fusion isn't worth the extra money then?

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

No it is not.The key word is "hyper-threading" i.e. the ability to weave two threads onto 1 CPU core. An i7 is able to present 8 threads over 4 cores, while an i5 offers the more traditional 4 for 4.

According to urban legend, in apps that can use all 8 threads (some 3D rendering and video encoding, probably Photo-shop and similar an i7 can pull ahead by about 30-40%.

If you don't do any of those things, then it's like having a car with a DVD player in back but never having a passenger.

So no it is not worth the extra £200.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...