We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scanner and software for archiving hundreds of documents.

Likes # 0

I have a filing cabinet full of documents that I would like to digitalise to make it more accessible. I know that there are what I would call; "Multi Page scanners" and I know that there is software developed to archive material which I believe has an OCR capability. However, I have no idea what hardware or software to consider. Could someone please point me in the right direction?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Unless you are going to fully digitise every document and then have a searchable index then you may already have them accessible. The project will take some time and depends on the condition of the documents and who they are fastened together. ADF's do not like staples or paperclips. Most, if not all, scanners come with OCR software that will convert the scanned image into a word document. The degree of accuracy varies and depends on the program, the quality of the original and that layout that is scanned.

Hope someone else can give you a better pointer to hardware, etc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You should have got some software programs with your scanner, both OCR and 'make into .pdf's'

The software will prompt you to scan the next page when you have chosen to do multi page scans

I think I would choose the PDF option for archiving paper docs then they remain in their original form and content.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Consider how you will back up the digital versions.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Hundreds of documents If your archives do involve literally hundreds, then at one extreme you could use Kodak ADF multi scanner

OR

At the simplest with a suitable compact camera, photograph each sheet till you want a break. Copy the camera's product to HD, storing the resulting files under its own [folder] named archive for the time being.

Then if you want some files as editable documents you can use OCR software to do this from the picture.

Whichever you do this, it will take time, so obviously keep a backup copy somewhere safe as you go along.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all your sugestions.

Kodak ADF multi scanner, Whoops, it is a trifle over £600.00 I took a few test photographs with my Canon EOS 300 D and it worked reasonable well. When I have worked out the best way to set it up with a tripod with a set position for the pages it should be quite effective. However, I'm not sure what is meant by, "Copy the camera's product to HD."

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Flipping #'eck, that's going to take you ages, using a camera on a tripod to take a photo of each piece of paper, and no guarantee you will be able to read what's on it if you don't get the focus just right.....

If you don't have a scanner, Why not buy a cheap All-In-One printer/scanner/copier, and scan the pages straight to a folder on your pc?

Like this post

Likes # 0

Your right, it will take ages. I have tried a couple of shots and it is possible to read what's on it having set the focus.

Why not buy a cheap All-In-One printer/scanner/copier, and scan the pages straight to a folder on your pc? Well, the answer to that is that if it is one page at a time it will also take a long time. That is unless there are any multi page All-In-One printer/scanner/copiers and I don't know that yet although I will have a look unless someone already knows of any.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Seems like you could do with one of these "an automatic document feeder or ADF is a feature which takes several pages and feeds the paper one page at a time into a scanner or copier, allowing the user to scan, and thereby copy, print, or fax, multiple-page documents without having to manually replace each page"

Don't know anything about them except info as above that I found on wikipedia ClickHere

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...