We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

no sound on tv from macbook pro

fazza8

Likes # 0

I am trying to watch BBC inlayer on my Samsung 42" HDTV. After a bit of fiddling I managed get the video perfectly with an Apple Mini DisplayPort Adapter cable by Neet but I cannot get sound. I bought a headphone to L R audio adapter and have tried several locations on the TV but nothing comes through. The headphone socket works Ok with headphones. Have I bought the wrong lead? Should I be getting sound Mini DisplayPortAdapter? Any help appreciated?

Like this post
fazza8

Likes # 0

Sorry forgot to say using new MacBook Pro with OS X

Like this post
fazza8

Likes # 0

Xxion™ Value GOLD Audio Cable / Lead 3.5mm Stereo Jack Plug to Twin RCA Phono Plugs Audio Cable Ideal for Computer, Audio and iPod/MP3 use Gold Plated Connectors - Quality Materials - Moulded Strain Relief Length 1.2 metres (4 ft) - Colour Black - RoHS Compliant

This is the audio cable from Amazon

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi fazza8.

As you have discovered the output from most computers video socket (DVI) contains only video information with the audio output coming out via the speaker socket (3.5mm jack), also most TVs accept audio input only via their HDMI connections and have no other means of inputting audio. I suspect that any phono (RCA) sockets you have on the TV will be for output only and you should therefore not connect the output from the PC to these sockets as you may damage the PC. I appreciate this may not be of much help coupled to the fact that I have no knowledge of Apple computers but suggest that as a starting point you check the TV manual and see if there are any audio inputs and if not then the only way you can get audio in will be via the HDMI (or SCART) sockets in which case you may be able to track down an adapter. Maybe someone else will come onboard who has experience in this area?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

I assume the Neet adaptor is not Mini Port to HDMI as that is what you need

Click here Apple Store and note the fiorst comment at the botton titled perfect re setting the Macbook Audio setting to HDMI.

You can gey these cheaper but make sure they are audio compliant

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...