We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sound Recorder for Free by CoolRecordEdit, - How Do I Get Rid of the Toolbar?

thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Yesterday I made the huge mistake of installing Sound Recorder for Free by CoolRecordEdit.

Even though I deselected "Instal Toolbar" in the installation process, the Sound Recorder for Free toolbar has been installed on all 3 browsers that I use, - Firefox, Chrome, and MS Internet Explorer. I have uninstalled both the program and the toolbar from my Control Panel. But the toolbar remains.

Any ideas how I can get rid of this totally unwanted intrusion on my web browsers?

And one final point, instal Sound Recorder for Free by CoolRecordEdit and at the same time you will be installing Relevant Knowledge malware on your PC.

Like this post
Ibanez2010

Likes # 0

In Firefox, go to "addons" and remove it from there. It should be a similar procedure for the other two browsers.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"...........Yesterday......."

Because your problem is very recent, a Windows System Restore would a good way to put your PC back to how it was.

If you don't know where to find it then click your Start button -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore. Pick an available date that immediately pre-dates your problem. If the restore doesn't work or gives unexpected results then you can always go back in and undo that restore.

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Many thanks for the tips.

Ibanez2010 was quite correct, - it was quite simple to remove this unwanted toolbar by going to the appropriate menu in each browser.

Really annoying that Sound Recorder for Free should try these stunts.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A lot of very good free programs come with options not to install certain toolbars but they install anyway. I suppose the sponsorships keep these programs free. As you've found out they're easy to remove so it's just a minor nuisance I live with.

Like this post
thegreypanther

Likes # 0

Many thanks, rdave13.

One thing, though, that you need to be very wary of. With this program, a piece of malware (Relevant Knowledge) gets inserted into your system. This isn't picked up by Norton Anti-virus, though is detected and eliminated using MalwareBytes Anti-Malware.

People trying / using Sound Recorder for Free need to be made aware of this.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"........With this program, a piece of malware (Relevant Knowledge) gets inserted into your system. ..."

There's a chance it may have made other unwanted changes to your PC that you're not yet aware of - that's why I recommended a System Restore ;)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote