We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Entering url in Firefox browser, something has changed

grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Up until a couple of days ago I just used to enter a single letter & it would show a list of home pages of sites I had visited beginning with that letter - but now it just shows urls that just contain that letter.

B would give me a dropdown box with BBC.co.uk at the top. C would give me Chiltern Railways home page at the top.

Now B shows pcadvisor at the top because in the url I looked at recently there was a b. Now C also shows pcadvisor at the top because there is a c in pcadvisor

F always showed some forums I visited (forum.name1 forum.name2 etc) but now at the top it shows pcadvisor.co.uk/forum, as it has an f in it.

All this happened when the bookmark icons disappeared. My laptop still works perfectly and is also running 9.0.1.

Any idea what has happened?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you have clear history when firefox closes option ticked in options, general tab?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Address bar seemed to get messed up for me with the Google Toolbar extension add-on a while ago.

I disabled it.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

rdave13

Just checked the computers and they are both set to "remember history".

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Have been searching on this and getting nowhere.

Just checked location bar setting & it is same on both computers & is set for suggest "History & Bookmarks". Works as expected on one computer but not the other. Even without closing the browser it seems to forget the home page of sites I regularly visit.

Looked at bbc home page, then typed "b" in location bar & the top url that appears is pcadvisor. The other pc comes up with urls that begin www.b etc.

Still confused.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

grumpy-git

No better browser than Internet Explorer

you could try Google's Chrome?

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

My guess is that it's one of the changes made in the newer version of Firefox. Have you checked to see whether they are both running the same versions?

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

D@ve,

Checking the version was one of the first things I did, both run 9.0.1.

rdave13,

I'll stick with Firefox for the moment, unless I get really annoyed with it & can't fix it!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Check this - Tools - Options - Privacy tab - at the bottom - Location Bar - Check that History and Bookmarks is selected from the dropdown box or just History if you do not have any bookmarks.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

I had mentioned a few posts above that those settings were the same on both computers.

I have a very old HP laptop which only normally is switched on about once a week. That runs XP so I will see how that is working and report back later.

Like this post
grumpy-git

Likes # 0

Just updated to Firefox and things seem more normal now.

I did try the old xp laptop but that was difficult to compare as it has few bookmarks and only limited sites in the cache.

Perhaps the problem has now resolved itself??

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more