We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Display Properties - XP

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Looking at an elderly XP PC. Whe I right-click on the desktop and select 'properties', all that comes up is Display Properties with the option to change the theme. The usual tabs Apperarace, Settings Desktop etc are not there. Am I being dull (again?).

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I'd suspect some kind of display driver issue...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I did try an update and also ran sfc /scannow.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I found this promising page via a Google search.

You may want to create a System Restore point before you run the VBS script though.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Hmmm. Thought I'd double check the device manager. Found an exclam by the Nvidia GeForce 2 MX/MX400. Went to the Nvidia site, ran their scanner. It confirmed the card. I downloaded and installed the driver - seemingly successfully. After reboot, all still the same (and still the exclam mark and 'this device is not configured correctly' under properties?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Put a different card in - same! Could that Nvidia be on the mobo, and U/S and that's why it's showing problems. Don't seem to be any other Display Adaptors on the device Manager list, though. Think I'll go and have a pint and try later!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe try without the graphics card if your motherboard has on board graphics already on it.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

onthelimit1, are you still trying to sort out the missing tabs in Display properties or have you now moved on to a different problem? If it's the former then did you see and try my earlier suggestion?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

SS - it's all part of the same problem. I was going to try your suggestion, then thought I'd follow Ian's advice firdt. That's when the yellow axclams came into the equation. There does seem to be something adrift with the graphics driver which may also be giving the original symptoms.

I'll check back in when my brain stops hurting!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

SS -thought Id run your suggestion before going out. Sadly, it's still the same!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Sadly, it's still the same!..."

Sorry to hear that. There are a lot of other tweaks available here. It certainly looks like a common problem so at least one of those links should restore those missing tabs. I'm personally not convinced it's a graphics-driver problem....sounds more like an an XP issue.....but I could be wrong.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes