We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Video editing software

steve263000

Likes # 0

Hi, I have windows movie maker installed, but to be honest it is rubbish. Can someone point me in the direction of a decent movie editor that does not cost a fortune. I do not take that many videos but I would like something better than 'movie maker'. Free would be nice obviously but I don't mind paying a bit.

I have a Windows 7 system with a laptop of decent spec

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

http://www.desktop-video-guide.com/top-5-free-video-editing-software-review.html

But like the man says: there are downsides to 'free' in terms of limited feature set and non-intuitive user interfaces.

I'm a long time Adobe Premiere user, and it's rated as among the best - if not the best - video editing packages. However, the full version costs several hundred quid.

The good news is that there is also Adobe Premiere Elements. I don't know it personally, but if it's anything like Adobe Photoshop Elements, it contains around 80% of the functionality (which is more than enough for most users) for less than 10% of the price.

Take a look for it on eBay: it looks like there are some bargains to be had.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Also see Gizmo's Freeware Site

I quite like Womble MPEG Video Wizard (30 day Full Function. $99). Google for reviews etc.

Or you could dual boot Linux and see if any open source packages are any good.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I have been going through the same process of trying to find a decent, cheap video editing package, and have come to the conclusion that PS elements premier is the best value for money, even if not "dirt cheap." I would, however, interject a word of caution about buying from discount sites. There is a full version, an upgrade version, and student/restricted versions. Be careful of the "small print". If you've not already got a good stills editing program, Adobe do a good deal on a combined package.

Like this post
Bapou

Likes # 0

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector/overviewenGB.html?affid=258193047930ENUpowerdirector&utmsource=CLHPFeaturedSoftware&utmmedium=CLHPFeaturedSoftware3powerdirector&utmcampaign=CLHomepageCyberlink Power Director 10 is a good alternative to Adobe's products and easy to use, Ultra version £79.99 or £59.99 for the Deluxe.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have used Serif MoviePlus for several years now and find it makes good movies for me. The latest version is X5 and can be found at several sources Click Here seems to be the cheapest.

Like this post
steve263000

Likes # 0

Well as usual I have had some great advice on here. I will check out the links and see what they are about. I am drawn to the Serif package though as I use the Serif Webplus X5 to build my web sites and it is a very easy builder to use. If the Movie Maker is as good it will be worth the money

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I too use Serif but I think that there may be better packages out there for example Sony Vegas Movie Studio regularly gets better reviews.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I have Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum and Roxio Creator 12 as well as MoviePlus x5 and I find the Serif programme much easier to use. It may not have all the bells and whistles but it is very intuitive and recognises all the inputs that I connect to it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features