We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT Infinity Download Speed

williamj

Likes # 0

My BT Broadband download speed has dropped from 30Mbs to 11Mbs, and BT's Broadband speed checker will not complete the speed checks. Has anyone any comment if there is a connection between reduced speed and the detection program? I can obtain speed checks using Global ( www.speedtest.net )

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

When you took up Infinity, BT will have given you an acceptable range for your downstream and upstream speeds. If 11Mbs is within the downstream range, I would expect BT to do nothing, but it may still be worth contacting them and telling them of the sudden loss of speed. However if 11Mbs is below the acceptable range of downstream speeds then it will be worth contacting BT who should investigate the problem.

Like this post
williamj

Likes # 0

BT engineer checked the available BT Infinity download speed at the incoming socket and at the Data Extension Lead input to my Openreach Modem, and the speed was the available maximum 40Mps. Several download speed checks were carried out on 2 PC's using Global and BT speed calculators, and the Global speed check gave the low reading about 7.5Mps, but the BT speed check failed even on the Beta check. The Browser I had for the above tests was I.E.8. I decided to install Google Chrome as my Browser, and Hey Presto the speeds I get are now more than acceptable 33Mps, and the BT speed checker works, and gives the same reading as Global. Can any one comment on why IE8 blocks BT tests and Google has no problems? Or has anyone experienced similar problems?

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Your problem with IE8 seems very odd. I have just tested my broadband speeds with speedtest on both IE and Chrome and got almost identical results for Infinity of 37 Mps down and 1.6 Mps up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks