We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

VHS unable to record now

Graham*

Likes # 0

Since analog transmissions stopped, my friend's VHS recorder can't record. He asks if a digital set top box could be used.

Like this post
Belatucadrus

Likes # 0

The answer is yes but you need one with twin scart connections, one for the Analogue TV and one for the VHS. Then record from channel AV.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Or he might want to get one just for the VCR so he can watch 1 channel whilst recording another.

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

His TV is digital, so a twin scart output would do the trick, thanks.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

If by "his TV is digital" you mean it has built in Freeview, then two Scarts are not necessary provided the STB has RF loop through. In this case the aerial will be connected to the STB and its RF Out connected to RF In on the TV.

Also, if he does not need to record one programme and view another concurrently, it may be possible to record from the TV onto VHS, obviating the need foa a STB. For this the TV would need a Scart with video out.

I imagine that scheduled recording will be less straightforward because the time/date information is no longer available automatically, necessitating manual set up of these. This needs to be done after every time power is switched off to the VHS for more than a given time.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Reasonably easy

Tesco do a set top box Technica for approx £20

Aerial to set top box looped though to VHS and on to TV

TV analogue channel set to VHS output channel

Set top box connected to VHS with scart cable

Set top box can be set to switch to the appropriate channel when the program you wish to record is on. Set the VHS to record from the scart channel at the same time.

Then watch another program using the tuner in the TV

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Graham*,

I realise that this might not be the answer you are looking for, but wouldn't it be easier for your friend to buy a Twin Tuner Freeview Personal Video Recorder (PVR) with a built in hard drive (300Gig+ recommended) and use it to make the recordings, two at a time if needed, that he wants.

The VHS recorder can still be used to playback tape recordings already made and can also be used to make recordings onto VHS tape if there is still a need to do so.

Peter.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I have not had the expeience of analogue switch-off yet but I do not expect there to be any point in connecting an aerial to a VHS Recorder since after that event there will be no analogue teletext. Are you able to confirm that I am incorrect?

Like this post
Graham*

Likes # 0

Peter

You used a word foreign to my friend 'buy'. Does not know the meaning of it. I gave him the VHS player, then he complains it won't record.

Second thoughts, forget the whole thing.

You mean one of these? I have one, highly recommended.

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

Graham*,

Yes, the Humax HDR Fox T2 would be just what the doctor ordered, but if your friend has deep pockets and short arms I don't see him getting one - unless, of course, you want to let him have your one ;->

Peter.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Erm... I may be showing my ignorance here, but surely there's no way an analog VCR can record digital transmissions? If you've got a bunch of ones and zeroes coming down the pipe, surely an analog VCR can't record them or play them back? I'd have said a PVR is the only way to go. Happy to stand corrected, though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do