We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to transfer MP3 files to PC

daz60
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have an MP3 player which i bought in France a number of years ago,forgot the make and no indication on player,and i wish to transfer the files onto my pc.

I can play the music files when the device is connected to my pc but i want to transfer that music onto the pc so i can play without the connection.

I downloaded Winamp in the expectation that the files would be transferred to no avail.Winamp plays all the files whereas WMP does not and even ITunes does not. Is there an method for transference that i am missing.

I believe i have all the appropriate codecs.

I imagined that when i place a player or a CD into the pc that the music would automatically be saved onto the pc in the appropriate folder.

Apologies for being confused in my interpretation but i hope some one can advise.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

My apologies again,i am using an HP Win 7 64 bit if that makes a difference.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Does the player show in Windows explorer? If it does it should be fairly easy to locate the folder on the player that contains the files and then highlight them and copy to a folder on your hard drive.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

canarieslover,

Yes,it does show in Win Explorer but when i highlight and right click the drop-down menu does not give an option to save to my local drive [C drive].

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

You are not looking for a 'Save' option. Highlight files on the MP3 player, Right click and look for 'Copy', then highlight the folder on your hard drive, Right click and 'Paste'. Or you can highlight the files on the player and Left click and hold Left mouse button down and drag the cursor to the folder on your hard drive. Release mouse button and files should then transfer over.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Give that a try in morning after work,time for bed now.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

canarieslover,

Thanks a lot for the info,just finished transferring and playing in Winamp. When box game up i saw how much was being transferred and got worried about the amount,only 109 songs but 493 items when i clicked on more details that showed exactly what was happening.

Again big thanks,an 'old dog' can learn.Just one more question...

decided to buy new MP3,do i do same in reverse to transfer to new device.??

Like this post  
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

It will all depend on the new device.It might well come with software to make the whole process very easy. If not post back with make and model.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

Chronus,

just ordered this gets good reviews for player and headset too.

Don't fancy an Apple,except to eat.

Like this post
KRONOS the First

Likes # 0

You might find this page useful then.Sony.

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

bookmarked.....many thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...