We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change in ram availability?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I have just come across what I consider to be an annoying problem. I have been using a couple of programme that gave various bits of data – so it’s my own fault for not having properly looked and understood before!! – and one of these is the amount of ram available. I use Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit, and have installed 4 GB of ram. I realise that a fair chunk of it will be used by windows but assumed that something between 2 and 3 GB would have been available to the programmes I run. BUT both of the programmes are saying there is just over 1 GB of ram available. Now I do not have the expertise to be able to work out whether this refers to the amount still available OR is the amount that windows makes available. Can some one tell me how to check out what is available immediately after booting up, when it is only the desktop that is running? I am presuming that as virtually nothing else will be being used this will show the maximum amount of available ram. If there is a way of increasing the amount of available ram, at this point, that would be even better.

Many thanks in advance to all who reply.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Many, many thanks for that. Having read the article I see I had my knickers in a twist, not uncommon when you read it. I will not bother about memory again unless something goes wrong. I only wish many more things could be explained so clearly and lucidly!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more