We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Downgrade Windows 7 to XP

Sparkly
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi my step daughter bought a new laptop for thier business just before xmas she has been trying to come to grips with the new OS but is finding it hard as she has allways used XP in the past, she was asking if or can the laptop be Downgraded to XP and if so how does she go about it? Thanks in advance.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

She will only be able to have XP if does a full format and install fresh XP and if all the Drivers for the laptop hardware are available for XP version.

I suggest buying an extra Harddrive and taking out the W7 one (keep it safe) then put new Harddrive in and put XP on that.

That way if it all goes pear-shaped all you have to do is put the W7 Harddrive back in and no harm done. (and you can use the extra drive in a USB caddy as a backup/extra storage)

Like this post  
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Lotvic's is a good suggestion. It's not going to come cheap - you'll need to buy an XP licence as well as a replacement hard drive, so I guess you're looking at £50 or more - so she may want to struggle on with W7. As Lotvic says, you could just format the hard drive that's in there and install XP: on the upside, that's a cheaper option - on the downside, you have no Plan B, and also XP drivers may not be available for the laptop. There is another alternative, which is to dual boot it: that saves the cost of the hard drive, but is technically more challenging.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Drivers for a modern laptop will be the major stumbling block. With a bit of effort you can make Win 7 look and behave a bit like XP.make Win7 like XP and Same again

Its not going to be exactly the same but it will seem a bit more familiar.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Thanks all something to be getting on with there.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I used XP ever since it was launched. I delayed changing to W7 for as long as I could, but when I did, I couldn't see what the fuss was all about - very easy to use and much faster. XP won't be supported for much longer, so I think she would do well to persevere

Now, when it comes to Office 2010 compared with 2003, different kettle of fish for me - I LOATHE the newer version!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have just moved to W7 and cannot work out what the fuss is about. However if she is confusing Office 2007/2010 with W7 then I can understand. Agree with onthelimit1 that she should persevere.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

For me, it's the silly little things that changed between XP and W7 that annoyed me. Instead of my 'desktop' task bar icon being bottom left, it's now bottom right. The taskbar itself takes a lot of getting used to, because it handles things quite differently to how XP did it. And then there's the fact that MS has taken things that XP used to do - but hidden them somewhere else. Eventually, you find them and get used to them - but it can be slow going at the start.

And yes, Woolwell, I'm with you on Office 2010. We were 'forced' into it at work, and I hate it with a passion.

Like this post
Sparkly

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton i think i remember her saying that she was finding it difficult to find things but as you all have said she should persevere with it, its like all things that are new to us they seem hard going at first then without you noticing it becomes second nature as XP did. Thanks all.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If you right click on the taskbar and select properties and then on the taskbar buttons dropdown you select combine when taskbar is full then it behaves more like XP. The thing that took me a little while to work out was the system tray. But I quite like W7.

Like this post
Andrewqpaul

Likes # 0

Hi, If you are looking for a version of Windows with more features, you can buy a Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade to add features to your Starter version:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/windows-anytime-upgrade

?Windows 7 Downgrade To XP

Are you sure you want to remove Windows 7? Compare Windows 7 vs. XP vs. Vista:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/compare?T1=tab20

If it's a new computer it might not have drivers for the older Windows system, meaning it will not work correctly. First you would need to check with the computer manufacturer if they have XP drivers for your computer.

Then you would need to use an available XP license you have, or buy a new one and install it on your computer. Insert the install disk into the computer, reboot, and start the install. During the install process you can format the Windows 7 partition then continue installing Windows. You'll have to backup your files and reinstall all your programs. You can not use a Windows 7 key to activate XP.

Installing XP ?(Note - XP will only be supported until 2014):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978307

http://www.techyv.com/questions/cannot-downgrade-windows-7-xp

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad