We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

"n" wifi router

drwm

Likes # 0

This is my first post so bear with me. I bought a new router to take advantage of the 'n' technology. The new router is a Draytek 2710n. The router works fine if it is within 5m of the router and no walls in between. However put a wall between the router and my laptop (Sony Vaio VPCEH) and the connection continually drops out.

I reset the new router to use the 'g' technology only and everything works fine.

My understanding was that 'n' was a stronger signel than 'g' and more reliable, so can someone advise me where I am going wrong or is 'n' not as good as it's supposed to be.

drwm

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

hi ... new router may be N ,but the laptop is still G. you will need to upgrade to N on the laptop. Dave

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Try updating Network Adapter via Device Manager.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"my laptop (Sony Vaio VPCEH).."

What's the full model number for your laptop? I've done a Google using the partial model number you've provided and the results all point to recent products.

"My understanding was that 'n' was a stronger signel than 'g' and more reliable...."

You're correct there. Wireless N offers greater range and faster speeds but you only get those benefits when the computer's wireless adapter is also N-compatible. Get back to use with the question I asked above and we can take it from there.

Like this post
drwm

Likes # 0

Full model is VPCEH1L8E/B. Have tried to update wifi adapter with device manager and I am told latest driver installed......driver version 9.2.0.427. The network adapter is Atheros AR9285. Computer works when only n selected on router so must have n capability???

drwm

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Full model is VPCEH1L8E/B."

Thanks for that. As you're probably already aware, your laptop's adapter will work fine with the N standard so there's no need to get another adapter.

There's clearly something wrong somewhere as you shouldn't be having those problems with wireless N.

Following on from northumbria61's post, there's an adapter driver available here on the Sony Support site. It doesn't mention your problem in the "What does it fix?" section but you should try it anyhow.

If that doesn't help then we need to know whether it's your router or laptop that's playing up. Do you have a friend who has a wireless N-compatible netbook/laptop who can visit you and see how they get on?

Another thought is that you could log into the router and change its wireless channel number to one that's as far away as possible from the current one.

Like this post
drwm

Likes # 0

Hi Secert-Squirrel have already tried changing the channel without success. The adapter driver available on the Sony support site is the same one which is already in the laptop. Seeing a friend this Saturday so will check out his pc and let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help in the mean time. Cheers drwm

Like this post
drwm

Likes # 0

Tried the router with another laptop and it worked fine in all the rooms in the house whereas my laptop kept dropping out. So will need to see if I can get Currys to look at my laptop. Thanks all for your help. drwm

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features