We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Question regarding fitting DVD writer

edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Hello

I am getting another PC which has a DVD reader installed.

My existing PC has a DVD reader/writer fitted and I would like to fit it to the other PC.

If I just change them over, will it work ok do you think?

I seem to remember from a long time ago, fitting a CD writer and I had to twiddle about with some "switches" on the back of the player.

Thank you for your help.

Richard

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the DVD is less than about 5 yrs old, the connections will be SATA and no twiddling will be needed. You'll need a lead to connect it to a socket on the mobo (should be a spare one)and a power supply (should be a spare on the harness). From then on it's plug-n-play.

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

hi .... yes it will work ok ... there are a set of "jumpers" on the back if it is an ide drive (wide ribbon cable)which need to be set on each unit,so one is "seen" as master and the other as slave. but the newer one may be sata,which use different cables ,in which case jumpers will not be an issue. Dave

Like this post
edenworkshops

Likes # 0

Oh that's good news.

Thank you.

Richard

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...