We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eee notebook/netbook- Doesit have a recovery option?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has recently had all sorts of problems with his little Eee netbook running XP. He is wiped everything off there and installed XP from an OEM CD so now has no sound and no wireless capability, i suspect down to not having the right drivers? I would like to use a recovery partition if it had one. Am i right in thinking that if i go to 'My Computer', the recovery partition would show there? Please help if you can- B

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

".....Am i right in thinking that if i go to 'My Computer', the recovery partition would show there?"

Not necessarily as it may be hidden. However, if there is a recovery partition then you'll be able to see it in XP's Disk Management Console:

Type diskmgmt.msc into XP's Run box then click OK. When the console opens you'll see the netbook's fixed disk along with all its partitions. If apart from C: you see a relatively small one, perhaps with no drive letter, then it's probably the recovery partition

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Are these the drivers he needs? see here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Bugger. Just the C Drive im afraid.

When it restarts, i get the messages:

Asus ACPI Service Missing Audio driver, audio hot key is void. please install audio driver Missing TouchPad Driver, Touchpad switch hot key is void. please install TouchPad driver Missing VGA Driver, Display switch hot key is void. please install VGA Driver

Fruit Bat, you seem to be somewhat of a God!! I sha;ll try them now....

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Well i've got sound (Whoo hoo!) But i have run the Wlan driver but still do not have wireless and i have turned on the Wireless (F2) too.

Any ideas please?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ps- i downloaded the 'Azurewave' zip file/driver.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Isn't there a support site for this product ?

Download and read the user manual which I would guess details what the recovery options are.

Recovery partitons usually show in disk management console (don't quote me on that for x.p. though). Right click "computer" and select manage and go to disk storage. If there is a recovery partition is will be small, probably 5 gb or less.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Buel, you may have better luck getting your drivers from the manufacturer's website - see here. The page has four options which'll help you get all the correct drivers for your exact model.

Good luck.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Thanks for that. Unfortunately i downloaded all 3 options for the relevant laptop (901) and still no wireless? Grrrrr.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Strangely, when i type in the serial number, choose XP and i get put through to a page marked 'Eee PC 901/Linux' which there are no wireless drivers?

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee+PC+901%2fLinux

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

That's a disappointment as downloading the correct drivers should have worked :(

Type devmgmt.msc into XP's "Run" box then click OK. When Device Manager opens, expand the "Network Adapters" section. Is the wireless adapter listed at all? If it is then double-click on it and let us know what it says under "Device Status".

If you don't find anything there then is it listed in the "Other Devices" section?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback