We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eee notebook/netbook- Doesit have a recovery option?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has recently had all sorts of problems with his little Eee netbook running XP. He is wiped everything off there and installed XP from an OEM CD so now has no sound and no wireless capability, i suspect down to not having the right drivers? I would like to use a recovery partition if it had one. Am i right in thinking that if i go to 'My Computer', the recovery partition would show there? Please help if you can- B

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Well im not too sure but does this help:

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/Netbook-Model.jpg

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It looks like the 901 version but they look as if the same drivers but look here

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hmmm...you're right!

Shall i just bite the bullet and get him to buy that cheap wireless dongle that there was a link to earlier on this thread?

Id still like to know why it isn't appearing though....

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Just checked, the same link! So last resort is try Driver Max, link

It's been quite sometime since I had to use this but I think you'll need to register and the free version only allows one or two driver downloads a day. Even if downloading not available it should identify the wlan. Note it installs a driver agent which uploads your drivers and download drivers needed. Once finished with the program, disable the agent and uninstall the program if you wish. It helped me on an older XP machine years ago. Good luck.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you for your great help!!!!

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Ps- the person im helping with this netbook may have messed with the bios, that wouldn't change anything would it?"

It's definitely worth going into the BIOS and having a look as I suppose it's possible that he may have disabled the WLAN adapter. However, if it has been disabled then I wouldn't expect the wireless LED to come on.

The way I see things, no amount of driver installations will work until Windows can see the adapter.

Going back to your original post:

"My friend has recently had all sorts of problems with his little Eee netbook running XP. He is wiped everything off there and installed XP..."

Was one of those problems a wireless failure perhaps? If so then perhaps the adapter has died :(

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ah, no. The problem was that his brother had put Linux on it a few years ago so he wanted XP back, which he did! Hope this helps!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi all, my friend is settling for the brilliant wireless usb that was recommended on here. Thank you all, you all have been brilliant!!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia