We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eee notebook/netbook- Doesit have a recovery option?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has recently had all sorts of problems with his little Eee netbook running XP. He is wiped everything off there and installed XP from an OEM CD so now has no sound and no wireless capability, i suspect down to not having the right drivers? I would like to use a recovery partition if it had one. Am i right in thinking that if i go to 'My Computer', the recovery partition would show there? Please help if you can- B

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

"Have you tried turning the wireless on by pressing the FN key plus F2? When you do, does the on-screen display show that it's enabled and does the wireless LED to the right of the touchpad come on?"

Ok, when i do that it shows a message saying 'Wireless LAN on' but nothing actually happens regarding wireless. Also, no LED apears to the right of the keypad as there is no LED there.

"That's a Linux page so you need to manually select your model on the Asus site and then choose XP. I think you've already done that though" Yes, that's right, i chose 'XP'.

What am i to do? This is driving me crazy!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

run SIW

what does it tell you under hardware - devices - network adaptors?

or under network adaptors?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Also, no LED apears to the right of the keypad as there is no LED there.."

I got that information from the Asus Eee PC 901 user manual. Never mind.

"What am i to do? This is driving me crazy!!"

In that case perhaps it's time to throw the towel in and get a USB WiFi adapter. Onthelimit1 recommended one recently:

"Posted January 18, 2012 at 1:07PM.......I've supplied a number of these. They only stick out about a quarter of an inch, and their performance is quite satisfactory."

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Sorry Secret-squirrel, There is a wireless LED under the right hand side of the keypad and it is lit up light blue!

Ok, here is what SIW says: http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/craigten/NetbookSIW.jpg

Ps- the person im helping with this netbook may have messed with the bios, that wouldn't change anything would it?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Wireless card not showing only

Atheros AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCI-E Ethernet network adapters.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Oh God, im so sorry, is that the wireless card?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look here

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Once you select XP in the box all your drivers show up.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I tried those drivers at the very beginning but had no luck im afraid. I've just tried them once again and still no good.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Having looked on google there seems to be various models of the Asus Eee PC such as the 1000H, 1000, T101mt etc. Which model do you have just in case there might be different wlan chips used?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features