We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eee notebook/netbook- Doesit have a recovery option?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has recently had all sorts of problems with his little Eee netbook running XP. He is wiped everything off there and installed XP from an OEM CD so now has no sound and no wireless capability, i suspect down to not having the right drivers? I would like to use a recovery partition if it had one. Am i right in thinking that if i go to 'My Computer', the recovery partition would show there? Please help if you can- B

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Wlan properties in device manager. C'mon buel you know better than that.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

You'd be surprised.

Thanks, doing it now!!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Got it, What now please?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Ethernet controller status says 'drivers for this device are not installed'?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Are you connected to the net via Ethernet ? Use SIW to find your wlan card then hunt for drivers. Surprised that there's no help and support for the Eee net book on-line from the manufacturers.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

No Wlan card showing?

That has been the problem all along you see, it doesn't even show?

Let's try again tomorrow.

Thank you so much!!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

OK. Try tomorrow to find the manufacturers site, type in the model number, etc., and the OS and maybe you will get a list of drivers for the netbook.

Who knows?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi again, Ok, Secret-Squirrel gave me the link to the ASUS site, i inputted the serial number and got this page: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee+PC+901%2fLinux

but there are no downloads for wlan?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

I hope i have done the right thing.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Here is what i see in Device manager. ....No Wlan card showing?...That has been the problem all along you see...."

It's a worry that neither Device Manager nor SIW can see the wireless adapter.

Have you tried turning the wireless on by pressing the FN key plus F2? When you do, does the on-screen display show that it's enabled and does the wireless LED to the right of the touchpad come on? I'd expect them to come on even if drivers haven't been installed as that function is usually independent of the operating system.

"i inputted the serial number and got this page: http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Eee+PC+901%2fLinux"

That's a Linux page so you need to manually select your model on the Asus site and then choose XP. I think you've already done that though :(

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia