We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Eee notebook/netbook- Doesit have a recovery option?

buel
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi, My friend has recently had all sorts of problems with his little Eee netbook running XP. He is wiped everything off there and installed XP from an OEM CD so now has no sound and no wireless capability, i suspect down to not having the right drivers? I would like to use a recovery partition if it had one. Am i right in thinking that if i go to 'My Computer', the recovery partition would show there? Please help if you can- B

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

It has been a long time since I fixed this same problem on a eee PC 901, the old swiss cheese brain does not remember so well, but I think that it needed a small utility installed first to enable the wireless card before windows finds it and install the drivers, this utility came from the same support site in the drivers section somewhere

Cheers HC

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi again, Here is what i see in Device manager. Does this help plesae?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

901 Drivers here

Install the chipset driver first

then the VGA driver

your device manager is not showing a wireless card at the moment

rescan for hardware after installing the above drivers

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi again, I have installed the drivers and still the wireless card isn't showing? Grrrrr :0(

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

The problem is that it would have had a separate partition but when your friend used the disc to reinstall XP he would have formatted it. See if there is a small panel on the back under which the card should be or take the whole back off and see if you can see the card with make and model on it.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I have got SIW installed, does that help?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Connect the netbook via Ethernet cable and try Microsoft updates. Or device manager, properties.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hi, Got Device manager but cant see properties?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

I've gone to 'Windows update' on the System properties? and im updating?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite