We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Windows95

immer

Likes # 0

Because I am recovering old floppys information I need to install windows95. I have an old formated OK hard drive. I have got to when with the CD to position E with the virtual D in position, but when I type "E:\SETUP" or "E:\WIN95:\SETUP" etc it keeps telling me I have a bad command line. I tried another CD driver with the same results. I last used this W95 installer disc about 4/4 years ago ok but I've forgotten the DOS etc. Any ideas please....

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I am not sure, but I think you can only install it on C drive

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Please do not double post it is confusing.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If I rember correctley Rawprawn is correct it can only be installed on C after formating By Fdisc

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

If all you need this for is recovering old floppys information. have you looked at the price of an exteral drive for floppys at less than £20 it must be an option that could then be used as a small storage space

Like this post
immer

Likes # 0

E is the command line to get at the CD and is only a temp location as the system boots. The problem is that I can inspect the files in E with "D:\DIR" but I can not get it to go.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

You may have a fault with the CD, try this link to download a fresh copy.

http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/95.html

Terry

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Some further tips Here

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows 95/8/ ME was installed using DOS, old PCs needed DOS drivers to get the CD drive working

DOS loads tools to a ram drive which moves the drive letters one forward

i.e. if your CD drive was D it will become E during the install period.

If you are trying to install from CD on a modern PC make sure the machines BIOS is set to boot from CD as first boot device. The CD should boot straight into the setup routine for windows 95.

Be careful because 95 will only install to C: it cannot see sata drives so you will have to remove any other drives and fit your old hard drive (IDE) and set as master.

Like this post
immer

Likes # 0

As the system requires, "E" is the correct drive to the CD. With the command "D:\DIR:\WIN95/P" I can see that the file EXTRACT EXE is in there,so its not a CD drive problem, though nothing called "SETUP". I have tried "D:\WIN95:\EXE"," and -WIN95.EXE" and various other combinations but just cannot get it to go! I must be doing something silly wrong but blowed if I can get there .... any more prods for tis old duffer most welcome ....

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Is it not possible to connect directly to your mobo from a floppy drive mounted conventionally?

I use SATA for HD, but my DVDs use IDE ribbons and I added the floppy drive when I bought this computer. [running XP.]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad