We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing Windows95

immer

Likes # 0

Because I am recovering old floppys information I need to install windows95. I have an old formated OK hard drive. I have got to when with the CD to position E with the virtual D in position, but when I type "E:\SETUP" or "E:\WIN95:\SETUP" etc it keeps telling me I have a bad command line. I tried another CD driver with the same results. I last used this W95 installer disc about 4/4 years ago ok but I've forgotten the DOS etc. Any ideas please....

Like this post
Peter

Likes # 0

immer,

"E:\SETUP" should work if SETUP.EXE is in the Root directory of the CD. "E:\WIN95:\SETUP" will not work because of the : (Colon) following WIN95.

You may be able to get round the problems you are having by navigating to the directory containing the SETUP file. i.e. from the C drive enter E: to move the the E Drive (CD Drive) and then CD WIN95 to move into the WIN95 directory. Once in the WIN95 directory enter SETUP at the command prompt.

Another, and possibly better, way round your problem of reading the data off you floppy disks would be to use an external USB Floppy Disk Drive and plug it into your more up to date computer.

Peter.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

When setting up 95/98 systems in the past i used to use Fdisk to create the partition first then format the drive and then copy the contents from the CD to the partition then simply run setup.exe

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home